Vintage 89

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
adhoc

Vintage 89

Post by adhoc »

Regarding Floris 89. I have a bottle of the current version of 89 but I'm a bit curious how the old vintage version smelled like... How long back do one have to go to find a "better" version?

Would a bottle like this one be sufficient?

Olle
churchilllafemme

Re: Vintage 89

Post by churchilllafemme »

For me the vintage No. 89 (before reformulation) has a much deeper and more complex fragrance than the newer version. I think to be sure you're getting the older one you'd have to look for a bottle with a blue and gold label like this:
_______
John
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

Yes, I agree! that version would probably be ideal but those are rather hard to get by unfortunately. I'm thinking though that the bottle in my picture would perhaps be slightly better than the very current version? Didn't Floris reformulate no 89 again just a few years ago, around 2010 when many other houses also reformulated their classics to comply with the new IFRA-regulations? Maybe no 89 was spared?
Olle
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

adhoc wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:44 pm Yes, I agree! that version would probably be ideal but those are rather hard to get by unfortunately. I'm thinking though that the bottle in my picture would perhaps be slightly better than the very current version? Didn't Floris reformulate no 89 again just a few years ago, around 2010 when many other houses also reformulated their classics to comply with the new IFRA-regulations? Maybe no 89 was spared?
I have some Santal in a bottle similar to yours which appears - to my nose, anyway, when compared to the newest - to be a pre-reformulation one. But I'm not an expert on this, and I don't know the timeline of their reformulations.
_______
John
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Olle, no you wouldn't be going back far enough with that style of bottle. That design and formulation was around when I first got involved with all this in 2007. My current 30ml bottle which I save for special occasions and have had about 5 years is like this.

I did once have an older bottle like the one in John's post and the scent was noticeably different.

Gareth
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

Alright thanks, I have to keep looking then! :wink: The new design on Floris bottles is nicer now though (not as nice as older, older), the label is better looking than those rather plain one.
Olle