Dominica Bay Rum

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Dominica Bay Rum

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm down to my last half bottles of the plain bay rum and the version. I adore the lime bay rum. A brief experiment with some of the plain bay rum and Taylor's No.74 Victorian Limes told me there was no future in pursuing that option. So I poked around with my favourite search engine. Everything about 'Dominica Bay Rum' includes the word 'discontinued'. So I searched for the importers CA Trading Co/California Antilles Trading Co/CalAntilles Trading Co. Eventually I found a link to a Facebook page and while I don't do Facebook and my browser doesn't allow scripts on suspect sites, among the garbage text I did spot a web address calantilles.com which redirects to merrimacktrading.com, which sells 'Grand Bay' brand of bay rum and also a lime version. They also still have Dominica branded soaps in stock. Looks like it's the same importers doing business with another supplier in Dominica.

I thought it right to support their efforts to get the industry back on its feet after hurricane Maria, so I've ordered two bottles to try out. I'll see if they will be forthcoming about how similar this might be expected to be to the original Dominica brand.
Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 11.38.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 11.38.29 AM.png (1.41 MiB) Viewed 9275 times
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Re: Dominica Bay Rum

Post by EL Alamein »

Been using the Grand Bay Rum for about a year now. It's nigh similar to my favored Dominica, maybe less clove. I actually like it better. I just don't like the bottles so I just decant into my old cork topped bottle from ages ago (did the same with Dominica for years after they switched bottles).

I'll be curious as to how you like it.

Chris
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

I haven't bought any bay rum cologne yet but I will. I don't know if its a cultural thing but the bay rum soaps i have tried doesn't smell very summery to me, more like Christmas actually. How are the British alternatives -– Harris, Trumper, Taylors? Vintage Trumper Bay rum, that might be interesting? I've seen old bottles of Floris Bay Rum as well.
Olle
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Arrived today. What an expensive experiment! Two bottles at $18USD each, UPS shipping at $45.23USD, then $67.75CAN for duty, taxes. Total $131.94USD for two bottles. Practically in Creed territory.

Quite different, sadly, to the Dominica. Much more ginger and less lime. The importers haven't bothered to reply to my questions about whether the Dominica brand will ever return.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

:shock:

Here's hoping they're worth the cost...
Bill
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Well they won't be wasted in that it would be hard to make an unwelcome bay rum and lime mix, but rather than hoard my special products, I have decided to go full on in wallowing in them. Median relapse after FCR chemo for CLL is 55 months, and I'm at 48 months and the nodes are regrowing. Screw it, I'll smell good when I go in for second line.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Dr. Moss, I'm sorry you didn't find them as pleasurable as you had hoped. You know where you can send them if you ever tire of them.

Chris