Which Hermes, Chanel, Dior for summer? Or am I reaching

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Which Hermes, Chanel, Dior for summer? Or am I reaching

Post by Sam »

Ok, let me posit it this way, given that Wife wants to smell it on me

Chanel: Down to Allure Homme Edition Blanche, Pour Monsieur and Pour Monsieur Parfum. Which one smells best, and which one projects best. I am reading at Fragrantica that they all have moderate longevity, but some scents rated poor on longevity actually are very close-to-the-skin sort of scents.

Dior: Eau Sauvage Edt, Eau Sauvage EdP, and DIor Homme Sport. The ES EdT seems to be lavendar,, and the recent iteration of the parfum lasts and projects but is more myrhh, Hard to see Citrus in those but wife does like the Parfum. Dior Homme Sport she liked but did not smell citrus on me. The Dior Homme Cologne, I get citrus and white floral and then after an hour, just a nice plain scent

Hermes: It is either the Terre d'Hermes toilette or Eau Fraiche. GIving up on the parfum and never warmed to the vetiver version

And then Mancera Lemon Line

So 3 Chanels, 3 Diors and 1 other for me to choose from.

So, if it would not be too much trouble, rank your top three and try to sell me on them? I do want citrus, I want to distinguish if I can between a summer scent, which is what I want, anything worn over 70 degrees, and something that could lean to all year. Smell means more than moderate projection or longevity, but a great smell and terrible projection and longevity would be a bummer
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Which Hermes, Chanel, Dior for summer? Or am I reaching

Post by fallingwickets »

isnt the dior sauvage considered 'citrus'?

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Sam, the more recent Eau Sauvage EDP is not as myrrh-heavy; I think that was the 2012 version, but they reworked it in 2017. Very citrus-forward and classy.

For daily wear, I think Edition Blanche is easier to pull off due to the creaminess adding some dimension. I also don't find it short on longevity, or didn't in the last bottle I tried (probably 2015 or 16)

Among the Chanels, PM EDP is really a nice fragrance, although I think the lavender comes through more than the citrus.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Tim. Thanks. I think I want the Edition Blanche. For a second bottle it would be the Eau Sauvage EdP. The toilette I tried and wife liked I’ve had Terre d’hermes in all but the toilette version and loved Red Vetiver. Afraid the Dior Homme Cologne would be too much of the light floral

The Eau Sauvage EdP 2017 is hard to find. It was in our local Sephora’s but no more. Thoughts on which other scent in its place?
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I haven't tried any of the Dior Homme variants. It seems they keep changing the standard EDT every couple of years and the number of flankers has become too much for me to keep up with.

I think if you've tried the other Terre d'Hermes scents, you know what the EDT will be. It's brighter than the parfum and more dynamic IMO, but it's the same DNA. No different notes; it is my preferred TdH, and the only version I still own.

I would say Edition Blanche and Pour Monsieur EDP are pretty different but share the house DNA and quality. You might sample PM EDP if you can and see what you think. There is vanilla in the base, which I normally don't care for, but it's not overbearing at all, and there's enough wood to balance it. I think it easily could be a 3- or 4-season wear, but really nice for summer.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

One other thought, Sam: I think you've gone down the ADP route before, right? The original is good but does not have longevity. Essenza does, though, and I like it a lot. Similar to Eau Sauvage EDT, maybe, but much better longevity. Assoluta is good, too; discontinued, but you can find bottles on the auction site. If you've never sampled the Essenza, you might check it out.
Regards,
Tim

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

PM has this lavendar note that seems too barbershop for me, and I know referring to a scent as barbershop is probably overplayed. Too powdery. Good scent, but I seem to just not gravitate to them.

Had the AdP Essenza and liked it, but it went floral on me. That is what I think Dior Homme Cologne will do.

Probably will get the TdH in the toilette version, or the Eau Sauvage in the parfum along with Allure Homme Edition Blanche. The Eau Sauvage toilette, I do not get citrus, I get lavendar and something woody, maybe the Myrrh
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I hear you on the floral thing. I don't mind it, but it is there.

Maybe a weird left field recommendation, but I love Eau de Rochas Homme in summer. It's got some green notes in the middle, but it's basically citrus and wood, and the citrus is big and bright. It's also really affordable stuff.

TdH EDT is really good; the Eau Vetiver Intense just didn't work for me at all, but the regular EDT is a mainstay.
Regards,
Tim

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

What do you think about the Eau fraiche version
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I've only sampled it, but I didn't think enough of it to buy a bottle. Don't remember much, except it didn't have as much of the mineral note that I like in the original, and it was maybe more citrus-forward.
Regards,
Tim

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Giftexpress.com had a great deal on a 6.7 ounce bottle of Terre d'Hermes toilette, about $R8 shipped and I got it. Lasts about 10 hours, projects well for an hour, and then a decent sniff on my wrist for 7 more or so. About average in that regard. Works nice in this 50 degrees in the am, 72 or so in the PM weather we are having in Memphis. Will hit the Tom Ford Grey Vetiver more in May as well as Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche. Chanel never gets discounted and too many fakes on ebay. Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, prices have gone up. Fragrancenet never has the parfum, which is what I wear. I have a backup bottle and just started a 3.4 ounce one, so I am good for two or three years
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

Have you tried Chanel's eau de cologne? It's way too expensive for what it is (an eau de cologne) but by god, it's an awesome cologne, one of, if not the best eau de cologne I've tried.
Olle
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Terre d'Hermes is a perpetual favorite for me, and one I keep in hand in its EDT concentration. I haven't started wearing it much this season as we still have some cooler weather hanging around. I think it works at any temperature but love the way the patchouli in the base blooms in the heat.

I wound up ordering Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017 version) this week. It should arrive in the next few days, just in time for a bit of a warmup. I doubt I'd have picked this one up without this thread. I've been on sort of a fragrance spree of late after holding fast for the last couple of years. I've found some dissatisfaction with the cycle of whittling down to 3-5 frags, getting bored, buying a bunch of stuff, and then whittling back down. So I'm aiming now for say 10-12 bottles that will keep me interested and help me avoid the vicious circle.

One for summer that I have stumbled upon in my recent sampling and buying is Caron Pour un Homme Sport. While I respect the original Pour un Homme, I haven't ever found it very wearable, disliking both the vanilla in the base and the play-doh effect of the animalics and vanilla interacting. This "Sport" flanker is poorly named and poorly marketed (down to the awful aquatic-looking teal color of the juice), considering what it really is, which is a classy and gentlemanly modern take on some classic accords.

PuH Sport opens with a blast of lemon verbena that is every bit the equal of the opening salvo in Green Irish Tweed, but lacking the sometimes screechy violet leaf in that one. There's an herbal, nearly minty accord centered on lavender that joins in the chorus within a minute or two. The verbena doesn't die out so much as it fades slowly into this lavender. It's reminiscent of Monsieur de Givenchy here but bolder and with greater angularity. I'd say the lavender is similar to what's found in the original Pour un Homme, but with no play-doh or vanilla, so it comes across a bit more barbershoppy. The heart consists of the lavender, a hint of spice, and a slowly-building coumarinic vibe, adding roundness and a touch of sweetness. The base is woodsy, but not a scratchy norlimbanol or generic Iso E Super. I'm sure both of those are in here, but there's also a hint of sandalwood and some benzoin that smooths out the edges. There's also a very natural-smelling ambergris. I'm sure it's just really brilliant use of aromachemicals, but it's the best ambergris note I've come across in some time. No oakmoss here, so it's not a true fougere nor a chypre, although it leans closer to the full and round vibe of a fougere than to the drier labdanum effect of a chypre. It's very complex and has replaced GIT for me as an all-rounder that can be dressed up or down depending on the day.
Regards,
Tim

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ok, another one to sample, lol
I have been playing with Comme des Garcons 2Man in the 55ish to 70 degrees and the TdH edT. Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche is nice but does not bloom. Not that the TdH does either but it is more 'loud' if that makes sense
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

2Man is a great one. I haven't had it in a few years, but I remember enjoying it in the heat. There's a lemon-frankincense combination that's really good in the summer. I haven't used Edition Blanche; I sampled it but passed on it, but I can't tell you why at this point. Probably should try it again.

I have been wearing Bleu de Chanel EDT lately, too. It's not what I expected from the name. I waited forever to even try it. The opening is typical Chanel class, lots of aldehydes and a good citrus kick. Ginger and labdanum in the heart. Nicely done bridge to the woods in the base, which do include ambroxan but aren't scratchy like in some other recent heavy hitters. I hear the Parfum has a big sandalwood note in the base which sounds great, too, but I haven't tried it. I think it gets some bad reviews from frag snobs because of the name. Had they called it something else to distance it from Polo Blue and the like, it might have gone over better upon release among BNers. Still, it's obviously a big hit and really good IMO.
Regards,
Tim

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I initially really liked Eau Sauvage Parfum. Great citrus opening and a nice green, resinous base. However, there's still ample myrrh here that gets a little cloying for me, and the hedione-jasmine just comes across wrong set against the vetiver and myrrh. I regret this blind buy more than most given the pricetag. Oh, well.

Looks like this summer will be Guerlain Vetiver, Terre d'Hermes EDT, Bleu de Chanel EDT, and the last bottle of YSL Live Jazz. Maybe Caron PuH Sport if I hold onto it, but I'm not sure it's a keeper either at this point.
Regards,
Tim

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Sometimes I like eat savauge. Sometimes yes. Cloying and to me lavender overdose
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I’m now considering Allure Homme Sport Eau extreme or the regular Allure Homme. Edition blanche did not work for me. Regular Eau Sauvage just does not last

I’m selling the Dior and some Grey Vetivet EDP
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

TRBeck wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:02 pm One other thought, Sam: I think you've gone down the ADP route before, right? The original is good but does not have longevity. Essenza does, though, and I like it a lot. Similar to Eau Sauvage EDT, maybe, but much better longevity. Assoluta is good, too; discontinued, but you can find bottles on the auction site. If you've never sampled the Essenza, you might check it out.
I had Essenza and it worked great, but that white musk or white floral note after a while got to me.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I just ordered some Miss Dior Absolutely Blooming EdP. Don't worry, it's for the Boss, who loves the scent of peonies.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace