Lavender

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
adhoc

Re: Lavender

Post by adhoc »

My bottle of Old English Lavender from Yardley arrived today and... it didn't smell good -- at all. :wink: As I suspected the juice has most likely turned bad, all tough I think I did spot some similarity to English Fern deep down there, under all the nastiness. But maybe it was supposed to smell like this 70-isch years ago and my modern nose just cant appreciate it but I got it pretty cheap at least and the bottle is really good looking so it´ĺl fit nicely among the rest of my collection. Ill go ahead and order a bottle of Atkinsons and use that instead, as I do really like lavender.
Olle
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Adhoc, my condolences. What is the color of that juice? Is it clear like water?

Chris
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

Thank you! :wink: But no, it has a light amber colour. I can upload a picture of the bottle tomorrow!
Olle
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

In my experience it's sundered if it's not clear like water.

I have had several bottles of this and unless it's clear like water it's turned. I don't know what it is, maybe exposure to air?

But the bottle that is clear like water is usually unused and still sealed from the date of manufacture. From my experience when I open these there is a sucking sound (maybe also present in a bottle that's been used and not opened for decades but yet still sundered).

Yardley usually had a foil and plastic-like seal in their caps and in these cases it sometimes sticks to the bottle even after opening. When pierced with a needle you'll hear that sucking sound.

The clear juice has a very fresh lavender smell to it mixed with some vanillin and a green note. Nothing off about it and very fresh.

Anything else I've encountered it not fresh, but stale and off-putting.

Once I even decanted one of these beauties to Gordon and he remarked how fresh and new it smelled, just like when he knew it in the old days. I told him it was just a good find on the 'bay. He was astonished but happy.

That's just my experience.

I hope one day you can get your hands on an unsundered bottle as it is truly something to behold.

Chris
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

Mine was defiantly used and my bottle had a film over the hole and I could hear that sucking sound after piercing it as well. I have seen newer version unused and still in the box on Ebay but those haven't been the old English Lavender (only English Lavender) but maybe that isn't such a big deal. I buy one of those as well, they aren't so expensive anyway, not like most other vintage perfumes. This i how my bottle looks (I bought a tube of T&H lavender too):
Attachments
yardley.jpg
yardley.jpg (50.56 KiB) Viewed 10022 times
yardley.jpg
yardley.jpg (50.56 KiB) Viewed 10023 times
Olle
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Adhoc, that's Yardley's (more or less) unisex Old English Lavender cologne. It was mostly offered to ladies but at many times to men. It is not the English Lavender offered specifically for men (many times in a box with the classic shaving soap).

Looking at the color I think it's sundered. I bought a bottle of it for my oldest daughter many years ago and that juice was pretty clear. I just checked the bottle she has and though almost completely empty, what was left was pretty clear. That bottle for her was bought NOS at the time.

IF I am reading you right, you want what was offered to the men at the time (the stuff Frank Sinatra would have worn). It came in a different bottle with, usually, a black label with gold lettering and a green cap.

This is the stuff:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yardley-Englis ... 2952090577

That bottle is old and sundered and you can tell by the color of the juice as well as the little of it that's left. If you can get something like this but the juice is clear and full you've hit the jackpot.

Also, that bottle seems to be from the 1940's. The bottles from the 1950's are different still but the same juice and the green cap (different shape).

Here it is:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-1 ... SwXetZQB4N

If I'm reading you right you're on a bit of a unicorn chase but I hope you find what you're looking for.

Hope that helps.

Chris
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

EL Alamein

Thank you for that informative post!
Okay, now I understand. I have been reading many of the threads regarding this stuff and I thought that gentleman Gordon meant that there were to different kind of English Lavender colognes, one named only English Lavender but the other one old english lavender should have been the real deal. But now I understand that you were mostly talking about the aftershaves.

The aftershaves are a bit above my budget so I might skip them but purchase a new vintage English lavender but not so old as my last one and hopefully one that haven't turned bad. Sorry for my English, as it isn't my mother tongue.
Olle
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Adhoc, yes, what was offered to men by Yardley back in the day was an aftershave.

No worries on the English I think you finally came through loud and clear.

I hope you find the aftershave, it was one of the best ever offered by any firm.

Chris
PedroPe

Post by PedroPe »

It's great to see your enthusiasm for lavender fragrances! Atkinson's English Lavender does seem to get a lot of love for its brisk and refreshing quality without being overly sweet. It's fantastic that you also enjoy Monsieur de Givenchy for its complex lavender notes. The thread you're referring to has discussions about various lavender colognes, including Duru Lavender Cologne from Turkey, and people's experiences with different products like Yardley and Penhaligon's. There's also talk about the difference in scents between products of the same brand, like Yardley's cologne and talc, and some insights into the history of these brands. It's a great place to share your passion and get recommendations for other lavender-based scents to try!