Plisson European Grey

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
LostInCincy

Plisson European Grey

Post by LostInCincy »

Just out of curiousity, what characteristics would you ascribe to the Plisson European Grey bristles? They don't get talked about much on here and I often see the HMW, EW, and Blacks. Are the EG bristles analogous to Super badger by Rooney and Vulfix or are they something else entirely?

Thanks,
Dan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

No idea, don't own any Plisson(s), but the black bristle with a burl wood handle would look very good sitting on the counter next to the Simpson and Rooney, no, no, must resist, oh what the hell, I've already sold my soul. Give in or perish. Must have one.

Squire
Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 »

Dan, I have a Plisson EG 14. I can't compare with Rooney, I've never had one. I had a Vulfix, but gave it to my son-in-law.
I find the EG to be a very nice, somewhat prickly, soap brush (at least that is what I use it for, but I mostly use soaps). Not floppy at all. I've seen them described as "harsh", but that is not my experience, although there may be a break in period during which the tips soften up. But then, I use a HMW 12 with my soaps also, so what do I know?
John
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Dan, Well, very few members have used a Plisson EG, or even seen one. Peter, and a couple of other members who check in occasionally. I've examined some, and recall what Peter and others have written in the past. They are quite stiff, and have a tendency to be a bit 'scritchy'. Considering that they are not that much less expensive then the EWs, I don't know as I'd be especially inclined to get one myself, although, at one point, I was considering it.
Regards,
Gordon
LostInCincy

Post by LostInCincy »

Thanks, Gordon. I wasn't really interested in buying one myself, but I was just curious how all these grades of Plisson shake out. It sounds like it's a different scene than what we're used to with the English brushes.

-Dan
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Dan, Yes, definately. Initially, I too just assumed that the next 'grade' down from the EW would be more or less similiar to, say, the Simpson's Best. Then I looked some over in person and realized that it was something else. Plisson's it's own thing, they march to their own tune, as it were.
Regards,
Gordon
Aty

Re:

Post by Aty »

Hawkeye5 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:56 pm Dan, I have a Plisson EG 14. I can't compare with Rooney, I've never had one. I had a Vulfix, but gave it to my son-in-law.
I find the EG to be a very nice, somewhat prickly, soap brush (at least that is what I use it for, but I mostly use soaps). Not floppy at all. I've seen them described as "harsh", but that is not my experience, although there may be a break in period during which the tips soften up. But then, I use a HMW 12 with my soaps also, so what do I know?
Hi

I am considering replacement of my old Simpsons brush, which is one out of four I have in my rotation. The brush is old, and in poor shape due to my own negligence, and it is the only reasons why it should be retired. As a substitute I am considering Plisson EG #12. Are you still OK with the one you own? I was actually toying with the idea getting size #14 which you have, but haven't decided on that. I am found of hard soaps and a shaving bowl, but my Chubby seems rather piggy on soap consumption. I also own Plisson HMW #12 and I quite like it, which is maybe a reason why I would like to explore their offerings little more.

Thanks for feedback. (Assuming this post will reach you).
Aty
brothers

Re: Plisson European Grey

Post by brothers »

Aty, several years ago I bought one of the Plisson European Grey size 12 brushes from a gent in Texas. It was a complete disappointment because it was much too stiff and scritchy for my shaving purposes. It was a beautiful brush, and well-made, but I prefer and require a brush that is soft and never rough on the face. I sold it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Aty

Re: Plisson European Grey

Post by Aty »

brothers wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:07 am Aty, several years ago I bought one of the Plisson European Grey size 12 brushes from a gent in Texas. It was a complete disappointment because it was much too stiff and scritchy for my shaving purposes. I It was a beautiful brush, and well-made, but I prefer and require a brush that is soft and never rough on the face. I sold it.
Thanks brothers. I will provide my initial feedback after about two weeks of shaving with it.