Simpson Brushes History

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
GaryYoung

Simpson Brushes History

Post by GaryYoung »

Hi all. Life has taken a few twists and turns over the last couple of years so apologies for not answering messages etc.
I have just created an Instagram page solely dedicated to sharing the history of my family’s founding and ownership of Simpson Brushes. I’ll be adding photos, family owned documents and also be available to answer questions etc.
Please give the page a follow: @simpsonbrusheshistory

Gary
CMur12

Re: Simpson Brushes History

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks, Gary. Great to see you here again!

- Murray
GaryYoung

Post by GaryYoung »

The idea is to pool together all the memories and eventually create a book detailing the origins of our family business.

The real history has been diluted over time. Online forums post a lot of ‘maybe’, ‘possibly’ and also total misinformation on the Simpson timeline.

There are real stories behind the naming of our designs that are usually incorrectly detailed within the traditional shaving world. We’re planning to put that right with this Instagram page.

You’ll get to see posts about the people behind the founding of the business and photos/reels showing some of our own personal collection of Simpson related history.
AnthonyColucci

Post by AnthonyColucci »

Scotsman Alexander E. Simpson began making shaving brushes in Clapham, London in 1919. In 1929 the company first exhibited at the British Industries Fair. The first listed registered address recorded for Simpson Shaving Brushes was 53 High Street, Clapham, London, SW4.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, AnthonyColucci!

Great first post.

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Murray, we'll see. There's a lot of these innocuous first posts coming from new users from a certain far eastern country. After it's approved, they can post at will, and generally it will be a post of which you would not approve!

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

I hope that this history does come to fruition. After trying just about all of the modern brushes, including the unicorns that take 2 years delivery, I have ended up keeping old Simpsons, Rooneys and Plissons. Overdense, gel tips and otherwise inferior knots make almost all of the modern brushes that I’ve tried seem like very overpriced imposters (opposite is true of razors IMO, a right gap Wolfman significantly beats any Gillette that I’ve ever used). Consequently, I have a few old brushes and a few new razors left in my much reduced collection.

It would also be interesting to see a history of Rooney. Another once London-based and legendary brush company. I doubt that Lee Sabini would be willing to reveal it.
Rick
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I think Rooney had a long history before Mr Sabini took over, which would be interesting. I expect the details of his secret Manchurian badger smuggling ring would be even better!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

I heard that the Manchurian grade is brought in by balloon.
Rick
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

blantyre wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:22 pm I heard that the Manchurian grade is brought in by balloon.
:P :P :P

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Notwithstanding the fact that I've never owned a Simpson, I will be eager to read Gary's book when it comes out.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pedigree

Post by Pedigree »

Bump
Pedigree

Post by Pedigree »

A Chubby 2 in super arrived at my door yesterday! (not sure how to attach an image file on here)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Pedigree. Welcome to SMF.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Pedigree:
For a single image, use the 'Attachments' pane below the post composition box. If you want to have more than one image in a post, they must be hosted elsewhere on the web (Imgur, Flickr etc) and linked, using the image tags obtained by clicking on the icon that shows a skyline and a sun above the post composition box (you paste the url of the image between the img tags like this: [img]url_here[/img].

Say if you need more help!
Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Pedigree

Post by Pedigree »

Chubby 2 Super.jpg
Chubby 2 Super.jpg (191.46 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
brothers

Post by brothers »

When they say "hand made" are we to understand someone picked up a block of faux ivory and used hand tools to give it a uniform size and shape, or does it mean they pick up a ready-made-to-order handle and mount a ready-made brush head into the outsourced handle? Or, alternatively, does the hand worker select the animal hairs received from an outside vendor and then physically measure and form the individual head which is fitted and glued in place?

Does the manufacturer of the finished product outsource the badger hair from one of several world-wide badger pelt vendors? I have observed that those who possess Simpson brushes always take pride in the attractive handle shape and size, but they also frequently remark that the brush head doesn't perform as well as expected. Is the handle of the brush the expensive name brand trophy while the given brush head is held solely responsible for the actual in-use performance of the brush? What makes the specific brand name embossed on the handle so popular? Is the popularity of the brand a current fact, or more of something representing the nostalgia from the past? Is Simpson the best performing brand of brushes in the business?
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It would be nice to see it once it has bloomed, too.

Gary: they aren't magical, but they are good. QC is solid now Vulfix is in charge, but as with brushes everywhere, the quality of hair is not what it once was. Young farmed badgers can't compare with mature old badgers. And I think we know that the knots were glued in by hand, at least in the past, since they sometimes failed! I hope they gather the hair, tie it, trim it and glue it in by hand as was done in the past, but all the same, if it works well I'm not sure whether hand production adds anything beyond that.

PS See https://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/o ... in-britain It says knots made entirely by hand.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Pedigree

Post by Pedigree »

They turn the handles from rods of solid resin using a lathe and then polished, IIRC. The knots are tied, shaped and glued entirely by hand.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pedigree wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:35 pm They turn the handles from rods of solid resin using a lathe and then polished, IIRC. The knots are tied, shaped and glued entirely by hand.
If that's the way they're still doing it, then it's truly hand-made, and truly worthy of the high degree of respect that deserves.
Gary