Manchurian White badger by Elite Razor

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Manchurian White badger by Elite Razor

Post by brothers »

In the past few days I've been working on a new brush project. I wanted a new badger brush with qualities similar to the best of the long-discontinued Rooney Finest. I did my research and someone suggested I consider the Manchurian White brush sold exclusively by Bob Quinn at Elite Razor in Georgia USA. After conversing with Mr. Quinn, I opted for the 26mm knot for my project. I do not hesitate to recommend this brush. It's beautiful and performs up to my expectations and perceptions. If anyone wants a spectacular badger brush, with or without the handle, this one might be what you're looking for. I already had an extra handle for this one, but please keep in mind that Bob makes his own handles which allows the customer to pick the material and the design of the handle, in addition to the material, size and shape of the knot. Here's a photo:
Elite Manchurian White .jpg
Elite Manchurian White .jpg (554.6 KiB) Viewed 12273 times
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Re: Manchurian White badger by Elite Razor

Post by brothers »

This brush has backbone. But it has no scritch. It doesn't irritate the skin no matter how long I use it on my face as I build lather from the soap stick, and it's soft.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

Badger?

Gary, I thought you were a sworn synthetic brush user.
Bill
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Bob's Manchurians are truly wonderful, for me better than Simpsons or Paladins. I had and treasured a couple of them, but I sold them after getting a windfall of Rooney Finests and ending up with just too many brushes.
_______
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

Bill_K wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:30 pm Badger?

Gary, I thought you were a sworn synthetic brush user.
Yes indeed! I love my badgers too.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

That is a nice-looking brush, Gary!

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Bill_K, even though I'm enjoying the new Manchurian badger in addition to the most recent synthetics, I have gone through my brushes and removed quite a few from my favorites that I'm keeping. Here is a list of 32 brushes that did not survive, and may eventually find their way onto the BST thread in case I ever want to sell them.

14 x boar
9 x badger
7 x synthetic
2 x horse
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

It's been several days since I used the Manchurian. Today's intentionally thin lather was a piece of cake for this big boy. Loaded 4 seconds on the soap and made plenty of the type of lather I was looking for. It gets a lot of water and yields the treat in no time flat.
Gary

woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

That's a nice looking knot on that brush, Gary. Very similar to Rooney Finests, but without the grassy/yellowish tinge that some of the Rooneys had.
Lynn
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Rooney Manchurian continues to amaze and impress every day. Among my badger brushes this one is equally gifted in comparison with the old favorites such as the Sabini Rooney Finest, the 1970's era Plisson HMW, the Made-Rite TGN Finest from about 10 years ago, and the Thater Silvertip.
Gary

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Gary, I am looking for soft tips without the "gel" clumping and hooking tips that were prevalent for several years. This knot is under serious consideration. Do the tips clump and have that slimy gel fell, or are they merely soft?
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tim, no clumping or slimy feel with this one. Just soft. Very comfortable.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Two years on and there's little doubt that the Elite Manchurian White (in my opinion) comes closer to meeting and exceeding my expectations and perceptions than the Rooney Finest. Just my two specific brushes. Yours may compare differently.
Gary

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

This brush looks like one that is worth pursuing. Several years ago I purchased a Rooney Finest 2/1 and it has proven to be a big disappointment: the centre of the knot has hollowed out. This has never happened to any of the 30 other badgers I own. The Rooney still lathers well and feels terrific on my face, but I fear the slow breakdown of the knot could soon relegate it to the bin. One thought I’ve had is to replace the knot, because I love the handle, with a Manchurian White if it’s still available.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Bryan, honestly I agree with your proposal to swap out the failed Rooney with the Manchurian. I realize some guys might roll their eyes in disgust at the mere thought of desecrating the Rooney, but a bad brushhead is just that.

Same thing - massive shedding - happened to my pretty RF 8 years ago. I sent the failed brushead to Berndt Blos at Shavemac in Germany and he reconstructed the now disgraced and deformed Rooney hair into a smaller ugly but once again usable knot and was able to fit it into one of his lovely Shavemac handles for me. I still have it.

The Rooney handle is home to the Manchurian White that I bought from Elite.
Gary