A tribute to the 2006 SMF brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
wenestvedt

A tribute to the 2006 SMF brush

Post by wenestvedt »

Back in late 2006, there was a bespoke brush by Rooney for the SMF community, the "ShaveMyFace III Brush." Somehow I convinced my very dubious wife to order one as a Christmas present. Thanks again to the mod who helped her -- Dr. Moss, I believe.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11922 (Regrettably, it looks like all the images are gone from that thread.)

I have used that brush every blessed day since I got it, and it's holding up great. Oh, the printing is long gone, and it drops a hair about once a week, but the knot is firmly in the handle and it lathers up nicely as long as I shampoo it every so often.

Thanks to whoever coordinated that project -- it must have been a lot of work. But the brush is still bringing happiness and usefulness into my life every day.

Three cheers for my brush!

- Will
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: A tribute to the 2006 SMF brush

Post by drmoss_ca »

I believe I still have mine as well (along with the first and second special edition brushes).
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I have mine stashed away among other brushes. I'll use it once in a while, and although I have various types of brushes, I still like the feel that the SMF has.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I joined the forum to get this brush, but as I gradually became aware of what I wanted in a brush, this one wasn't it. I later traded it with another member for a vintage Gillette razor.

I think "Johnny" was an admin and the mover behind these SMF specials.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've had a standing offer to buy one from anyone who might be thinking of selling theirs. No offers, and I understand why that is the case. It must have been a beauty! From the descriptions and comparisons that have been posted by others, I imagine the SMF to be of the same stature as the Thater 4376/5 Silvertip badger brush.
Last edited by brothers on Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Nice to see you out and about Will. the thread you linked made for an interesting read :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Before anyone starts up conspiracy theories about who Johnnie was and why he isn't here any more - he was one of the founders of SMF, and I believe Vince's cousin. Cheerful, active and enthusiastic, he eventually succumbed to waning interest and for reasons that I don't fully understand he asked me to inactivate his account. It sits there, all lonely on the admin control panel, hoping for him to rediscover his love of a good shave. Actually, one other member asked me to deactivate his account as he felt he was suffering from an addiction disorder involving too much computer time, so there are two accounts there.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

fallingwickets wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:36 am Nice to see you out and about Will. the thread you linked made for an interesting read :D :D

clive
Well, I came back after hearing from you, in fact, Clive!

I figured it would be nice to hear from anyone who enjoyed their brush....and if maaaaaybe there was an apostate who voiced a complaint, I might be able to "help" him by buying his unwanted brush as a backup! :7)

- Will
Gene

Post by Gene »

Dr, Moss - You have a PM
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

and if maaaaaybe there was an apostate who voiced a complaint, I might be able to "help" him by buying his unwanted brush
good luck with that. :D
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Was this the one that was made by Rooney? I think I had one, but just can't picture it.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gareth, it was a Rooney, with a tall ivory-colored handle and a silvertip knot of 24mm (if I remember correctly).

- Murray
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Thanks Clive - I think I remember it now. I seem to recall it being a pretty good brush actually.

Such a shame that Rooney aren't around any more...
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

my pleasure...ive passed it onto murray though :D :D

clive