experience with vintage badger

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
FireDragon76

experience with vintage badger

Post by FireDragon76 »

I picked up some vintage shaving brushes- I plan to get into refurbishing old brushes with new knots and selling them on eBay. And even though I have ethical objections to badger, I figured it was important to buy a few vintage ones to experiment with, to learn how badger feels.

So, I got a beautiful butterscotch handled badger brush in the mail yesterday. It looked like it had some use, though it still looked usable. The brush was already clean, so I just conditioned the bristles with coconut oil and let it sit overnight. I shaved with it today and it was very good for lathering. The knot wasn't dense, it was comparable looking to cheap synthetics I have seen, and lathering with it was "floppy", sort of like how I remember the Omega Syntex I used to use. I actually prefer this for lathering, as I don't have to use much pressure. I've only used one synthetic brush that was comparable, a synthetic I bought from China years ago, and even then it had more backbone.

I'll try to upload some pics of the brush when it dries.
FireDragon76

Re: experience with vintage badger

Post by FireDragon76 »

Here's the picture of the brush. It's made in the US, "pure badger".

https://www.dropbox.com/s/04fj7iinowgmc ... 5.jpg?dl=0

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Looks decent enough. I like the handle, it reminds me of the Vulfix line.

Good luck with the reknotting.

Chris
FireDragon76

Post by FireDragon76 »

EL Alamein wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:21 pm Looks decent enough. I like the handle, it reminds me of the Vulfix line.

Chris
Do you think it needs reknotting? The brush still seems to work OK- it actually lathers very well compared to the brushes I own, better at face lathering than synthetic brushes I have used (which admitted is not a great number- I've mostly used boar).
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

FireDragon76 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:29 amI picked up some vintage shaving brushes- I plan to get into refurbishing old brushes with new knots and selling them on eBay.
A lot of vintage brushes are much smaller than modern ones, and it might be harder to find smaller knots to fit them.
There's one place (shavemac?) with smaller badger knots, but they seemed pricey to me.
I'm on the lookout for something like an 18 mm synthetic for one of mine.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

FireDragon76, if the brush serves you well as is, I wouldn't change anything unless there is something else specific that you seek.

- Murray
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

FireDragon76 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:25 pm
EL Alamein wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:21 pm Looks decent enough. I like the handle, it reminds me of the Vulfix line.

Chris
Do you think it needs reknotting? The brush still seems to work OK- it actually lathers very well compared to the brushes I own, better at face lathering than synthetic brushes I have used (which admitted is not a great number- I've mostly used boar).
If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you like it as-is just use it until you don't like it anymore. If you want to reknot it at that point then go for it.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

John Rose wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:16 pm
FireDragon76 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:29 amI picked up some vintage shaving brushes- I plan to get into refurbishing old brushes with new knots and selling them on eBay.
A lot of vintage brushes are much smaller than modern ones, and it might be harder to find smaller knots to fit them.
There's one place (shavemac?) with smaller badger knots, but they seemed pricey to me.
I'm on the lookout for something like an 18 mm synthetic for one of mine.
John, have you checked the inventory at TGN? He knows his brushes, and can usually find what the customer wants. I've had excellent service from this vendor.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

brothers wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:59 pmJohn, have you checked the inventory at TGN? He knows his brushes, and can usually find what the customer wants. I've had excellent service from this vendor.
Ooh, "The Golden Nib". I'd forgotten all about them having brush parts.
I see they have some boars and badgers in 16 and 18 mm, and not ridiculous prices.
Thanks for that reminder.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
naturalpuerh

Post by naturalpuerh »

People only change the brush when it is not comfortable!
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

My 50 cents worth on this. I got an old Ever-Ready brush a few years back and bought a best badger knot from TGN. It is a very nice knot for the cost and will be fuller than your old one, should you decide to refurb.
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)