Plisson Sold?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Plisson Sold?

Post by M6Classic »

I was in Colonial Drug yesterday (it is now in Newton, MA, not at Harvard Square), and Cathie told me that Plisson had been sold to an individual buyer who knows nothing about the shave gear business. The new owner hasn't yet decided whether or not to continue making brushes. How sad.

That said, Cathie had a couple of really lovely vintage Plissons with HMW badger set in faux ivory handles. Not the HMW from the seventies, mind you, but quite delightful, classic brushes nonetheless with much finer hair than I have seen in any brush over the last decade. Colonial Drug still does not have a retail internet presence. If you are not fortunate enough to be able to walk in, they do much business over the phone at 617-965-2221. If I did not own three vintage HMWs set in plexi, I would jump on one of these brushes quickly.

Buzz
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Plisson Sold?

Post by fallingwickets »

why buy plisson and not continue to make brushes...would be like someone buying cartier only to stop making watches

clive

p,s,
nice to see you out and about
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Very good question Clive.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
oeilvert

Post by oeilvert »

Here's an answer for you: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... ca3a419f50

What this means for the future of Plisson brushes, who knows... Moving production to China? Ghastly new handle designs in bright colours? Only time will tell. My own recent experience with the company was not a good one, you should not have to involve a CC company to obtain a refund for a faulty brush.

I'll never buy another.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, oeilvert!

Useful first post.

- Murray
oeilvert

Post by oeilvert »

CMur12 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:59 pm Welcome to SMF, oeilvert!

Useful first post.

- Murray
Thanks Murray, glad to be here.

I've been a lurker for many months but finally decided to sign up. This forum is a fountain of knowledge, especially on older British products.