simpson's have improved

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: simpson's have improved

Post by fallingwickets »

oftentimes the shedding stops...hoping it does for you too

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Pedigree

Post by Pedigree »

I've never had any issues with any of my Simpson's.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Pedigree. Welcome to SMF.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

I have a somewhat embarrassing collection of Simpsons (both pre and post ownership change), and only one shed. It was a beautiful two-band Polo 10, and big 'ol clumps of badger started to fall out. Mark at Simpson offered to re-make it, but I didn't want to deal with shipping overseas, etc. I think it wound up in the trash.

All my other Simpsons are great. I think the softest of them all is a Duke 3 in Best. For some reason, the tips of the hairs are softer than any of my Simpson Supers or Manchurians. My favorites are some of my older Tulips, Polos and Persian Jars stamped with lamp black. I have a particularly curvaceous PJ3 Super that is probably 20 years old. The older Simpsons had those silly decals that you had to coat with clear nail polish (swiftly and with only one stroke to prevent blurring and disintegration...lol). I'm glad Mark switched over to better quality stickers.

Now that this is top of mind, I'm going to get one of my oldies off the shelf and use it for my next shave!
Lynn
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It's true that there was a time when the Best hair in their more expensive brushes was better than any finest or silvertip. This was true for Chubby 2 and 3, and for the Duke 3, and maybe others I don't know of. The smaller brushes tended to a have brown-tipped hair, and the larger was cream-tipped. I think I sold or gave away the Duke 3, but I have three of the good Best Chubby 2 brushes, and a couple of Chubby 3s (though I think one is the more expensive but inferior "Manchurian"). One of the Chubby 2 brushes, despite its lovely hair is a shedder.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

You’ll be the judge whether this makes sense…
In 2006, while based in London, England, I bought two Taylor of Old Bond Street branded shaving brushes that I believe were made by Vulfix.
They turned out to be horrible shedders, Taylor was nice enough to replace them, but unfortunately they turned out to be horrible shedders too.
So when Vulfix took over Simpsons, I held off buying Simpsons for a long time, concerned that too many of them might be shedders.
That there are more reports of Simpsons shedding than let’s say Shavemac, Mühle or Semogue did not help either.
Does that make any sense to you? :?: :-k

Eventually I bought a Simpsons and it turned out to be a great brush.
After that I bought a few more over time and they all give me great service.

Now, I own a Captain 2, Coronel 2XL, a Commodore X2, a 58 and a Persian Jar 3.
All of these are Best Badger, except for the Persian Jar, which is a Super, and the 58, which is Manchurian Badger.

I have also two synthetics in what is now called the Platinum range, a Chubby 2 and a Duke 3, and they work particularly well when travelling.

But the one closest to my heart is the Persian Jar 3 that had been so long on my radar.
For years, I thought that this was one of the best proportioned (Am I allowed to say “sexiest”?) brushes around.
Ultimately, I just could no longer resist that shape, where form follows function.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Chris, I agree with you on the "Manchurian" badger. I have an M7 and a Duke in Manchurian, and they are both scratchier than any of my Supers and Bests. I'm not sure what's going on there....

I also lucked out in getting a Chubby 2 in the nicer Best hair, and it's a great brush.
Lynn
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Manchurian is a stiffer bristle than any other grade of hair within the Simpson portfolio. While there are price differences between all of the grades they all come down to personal preference.