Synthetic brush head

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Synthetic brush head

Post by Sam »

Does anyone notice that their synthetic brush head does not go all the way back to tightly packed? Sometimes if it’s still soapy it will do it but I have used regular bar soap to try to clean it and this is how it looks
Attachments
3AEA6DEA-D47B-43A3-AE32-861293BB2AD1.jpeg
3AEA6DEA-D47B-43A3-AE32-861293BB2AD1.jpeg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 7899 times
458F8C68-A4BB-49C1-9D49-7E3EEC474382.jpeg
458F8C68-A4BB-49C1-9D49-7E3EEC474382.jpeg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 7899 times
F8F3E6B0-16A6-44FB-AF33-9C835EAB1D8F.jpeg
F8F3E6B0-16A6-44FB-AF33-9C835EAB1D8F.jpeg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 7899 times
John Rose

Re: Synthetic brush head

Post by John Rose »

I don't quite understand the question.
Are you talking about the fibers fanning out, or clumping, or what?
All four of mine (APShaveCo Tuxedo, APShaveCo SynBad, Stirling 2-Band, The Body Shop) return to how they looked when they were new once they've dried out.
Also a Kabuki makeup brush, which feels really weird with lather, but works better than some shaving brushes. It has much finer fibers than a proper shaving brush.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Mine does not return to what it looks like when it was new it seems to be more spread out and not as tight. You know how like your jeans are after you wash them and dry them they fit tight but during the day they spread out and are a little bit baggier
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Do you mash the brush in use? I don't need an answer it's just something to consider.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

ShadowsDad wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:31 am Do you mash the brush in use?
I do that (sometimes) when loading it from a hard soap, but only the synthetics.

After I'm done shaving I rinse them well under running warm water, and then do paintbrush swipes on a dry towel to partially dry them. Right away they look new, even before they're really dry.
Not coincidentally, this is what Simpson says to do with their brushes :
Simpson wrote:Perhaps the single most important task within the whole shaving routine is the cleaning of your brush when you have finished. You must ensure that all soap or cream residue is removed from the knot by rinsing it through with warm clean water. Gently squeeze the base of the knot to assess whether it is completely residue free before lightly stroking the bristles over a soft towel. Leave the damp brush to stand from it's base or hang from a stand in a well ventilated area, preferably close to an open window. Always allow your shaving brush to dry completely between uses to avoid any mildew spores developing within the knot which will almost certainly attack the bristle epoxy bond. A second brush purchase is highly recommended so a good 48 hour brush rotation can be adopted. Maintenance is everything.
When I squeeze it I make sure don't pull on it like I'm milking a cow.
I don't need an answer it's just something to consider.
Too bad. Ya got one anyway. :wink:

@Sam - What brand and model of brush is that?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sam, I have noticed that a couple of times with my synthetics post shave. I figured out that they don't do it as much if I spend a few extra moments with the hot tap water and prolonged wringing of the brush head with my hands before spending a few more seconds drying the brush on the towel before I set it to dry. The main benefit in this respect to the synthetic brushes is the fact that they dry so fast and so thoroughly as compared to boar and badger.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Sam wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:09 am Does anyone notice that their synthetic brush head does not go all the way back to tightly packed? Sometimes if it’s still soapy it will do it but I have used regular bar soap to try to clean it and this is how it looks
Here's a thought - Is there any chance the knot was put in boiling water?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

It was someone here who made it. The knot was sourced. Works fine so it is only aesthetic. I guess I mash hard when lathering and I swirl it on my face more than the paintbrush way
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Sam wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:25 am... Works fine so it is only aesthetic. ...
Sure.
At least it's sorta' even all over. I doubt I would have noticed it if I saw it on the shelf.