Shavemac brushes

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Southbound

Shavemac brushes

Post by Southbound »

Hello,
I want a Shavemac, but I don't know were to begin. I have read that custom shaving brushes aren't for the inexperienced. I don't have much experience with shaving brushes - I only own 3-4, a Vulfix 2235, Vulfix 2236, Omega 10098, and some synthetic brush. The 2236 is a lather hog and the 2235 is what I mostly reach for the 23mm knot is perfect, but the loft 52mm is too floppy. The other two brushes I don't ever use.

I will definitely get Mr. Rudy Vey to customize my brush. I want a 23*48mm fan shapes knot/brush. I may get a do1 3 band, but I have read that they can be a lather hog. Some say they are and some say they aren't, but I guess it only depends on what loft and knot one chooses? It would be nice to feel a wall of badger, but if flow through is at cost/sacrifice then I say 'nay' on a dense brush!! So what would the differences be between a do1 3 band and a regular Shavemac silver tip, with the exact same specs 23x48mm? I do like a 'little' scrub, and some splay and bloom, but not nothing overly floppy.

One of my reasons above for not using the synthesic and the omega 10098, is glue bump. I don't like em! It effects the overall loft. My synthesic has a 53mm loft, but only 45mm is usable loft. Glue bumps in general don't bother me, because all shaving brushes have glue plugs. They don't bother me 'if' they are were they are supposed to be and that inside and below the handle and not protruding out of the handle then I am ok with that.
I also read that if one wants a specific knot and loft, one needs to order 2mm smaller than desired, for example if I want a 23 I need to order a 20-21, because they come +2-3mm larger. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike
Rufus

Re: Shavemac brushes

Post by Rufus »

Contact Bernd Blos at shavemac and describe to him what you are looking for, ie your likes and dislikes.
Bryan
Southbound

Post by Southbound »

Rufus wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:58 am Contact Bernd Blos at shavemac and describe to him what you are looking for, ie your likes and dislikes.
Thanks for the reply. If I get one I hope to go through Rudy Vey. I want to pamper myself, but I just need some experienced users insights. I have contacted Bernd, but no reply. Maybe it's because of this virus ordeal?? It has everything on halt! Hope it gets resolved soon.

Mike
Southbound

Post by Southbound »

TRBeck wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:08 am I can share my experiences with Shavemac brushes. Others may differ in their perceptions and opinions, of course, but for me, the D01 3-band can be a bit of a lather hog. I have had two of them, one in a magnificent custom Rudy Vey handle made of Sambar stag antler, but in the end, they just wouldn't give up lather well enough. The standard silvertip, on the other hand, yields lather well, but it is very soft and may not provide the scrub you're after. My 24mm silvertips from Shavemac - at lofts ranging from 46 to 50 mm - didn't do the trick. That said, I have always ordered fan-shaped knots from Bernd. My Savile Row 3122, which is almost certainly a Shavemac knot, was absolutely brilliant, had soft facefeel but ample backbone, and yielded lather perfectly. It was a bulb knot, so if you go with standard silvertip, consider a bulb knot (btw, that was nominally a 22mm knot, but it measured at 24mm).

The Shavemac 2-band silvertip is, for me, a really nice combination of backbone/scrub and good flowthrough/lather release. The only badger I still own is a fan-shaped 24/48 2-band silvertip. I use it often and would enthusiastically recommend it based on your stated criteria. That said, both Bernd and Rudy Vey can offer guidance, too.
Thanks very much for the reply. I figured the do1/three band would be a lather hog. Makes sense, dense probably usually equals not so good flow through. So the do1 /three band would have maybe good lather release, but would have less scrub and probably be floppy? So even at 48mm loft?

At first I talked with Rudy about the do1/ 2band and he explained they are an acquired taste of brush selection?? Lol -He said one guy said you could jack up a car with a 2 band Shavemac. Some guys say they are more akin to the way a boar acts, feels, and performs? I kinda hate to put out that kind of dough for a badger that basically performs like a boar.
So do these perform like a boar? Meaning most boars have a slooow break in and dont splay or bloom much and they tend to be hogs, and they take forever to breakin.. The bristles are way too stiff, with too much pushing on the face while lathering.

So the dol /2band fan 24/48 you own is it a regular two band or is it a 'do1' /3band?
I was reading somewhere that the hair on
on these 2 bands is bigger in diameter at the base of the hairs and also they are from a different part of the animal. I also read to that they are the exact same hair as the 3 band, but the '3rd' band is beneath the handle, and only the 2 bands show (dark and white) , and the tips of the 2bands are chemically treated to make them more pleasing to the eye. Some say they are treated and some say otherwise? Lol - I dont know if they are facts, but just hearsay. Apologize cod all the questions, but I would rather here from you guys who have experience. Rudy said that they aren't treated, I think?

Thanks,
Mike