Synthetic v. Badger - soap/cream consumption

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Synthetic v. Badger - soap/cream consumption

Post by brothers »

I have documented that soaps and creams last longer by a factor of almost 2:1 when I load my brushes directly on the product. The SilkSmoke synthetic depletes the product half as much as the Manchurian Rooney. I have watched the seconds tick off the clock and I load both types of brushes an average of 8 to 12 seconds. Some creams are almost as dense as some soaps and vice-versa. If the cream is not dense but just creamy, only the tips of the brush make light contact with the cream. Bottom line, synthetics make lather equally as plentiful and dense as badger with half the amount of product.

Before we begin defending our lovely badgers, I want to be the first to say I don't care how long they (the soaps and creams) last or don't last! :D I love them all, no matter what the brush bristles are made of. On a scale of interest, I have zero interest in making any particular soap or cream last longer. I bought them to use, and that's what I do every day. I've logged 60 shaving creams and soaps that have been used up since I began keeping track in 2012. Of course, I may be wrong! What are your documented results? Let's compare notes. :)
Last edited by brothers on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Synthetic v. Badger - soap/cream consumption

Post by drmoss_ca »

I just make more soap when it runs out. If a badger brush uses it up quicker, I know I've had more of it on my face during the shaves, which seems as if it ought to be a good thing rather than a bad.

I did buy all the synthetic brushes available at one time, and found them wanting. I'm told things have improved, in which case I'm happy for new buyers. I can't wear out the brushes I have, and also have developed a soft spot for boar brushes. If you eat bacon, buy a boar brush so nothing goes to waste!

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

I strongly agree, nothing bad, just one of those innocuous bits of data to which we are exposed every day.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Alexd021

Post by Alexd021 »

Spammer deleted.
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

The amount of soap that I have means that efficiency of use is not a good figure of merit for a brush. On the contrary, I like my mid-sized scrubbing brushes that can burn though a puck in a few weeks. I apologize for my scorched earth attitude. Synthetics are better in every practical sense. It’s good to know that they also help to reduce consumption of resources. It tried several and ended up going back to badger.
Rick
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Synthetics are the most efficient lathering tools available. Some of them feel pretty good on the face. I used an EJ XL STF2 exclusively for years. About a year ago, I made the tactical error of using a 2-band Shavemac and then a couple of boars for two weeks each. I have hardly used my synthetics since. I really enjoy the feel of my boars and badgers, and I have more soap than I will ever use (and can make more if I need to), so I've decided not to concern myself about the bit of wasted software. That said, if I were to think strictly in terms of efficiency, a $20 synthetic would be all the brush one would ever need and would save money over the long haul on soap expenditures besides.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau