Shaving Brush Recommendation

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Hanerc

Shaving Brush Recommendation

Post by Hanerc »

Hi all, I'm new here, my name is Deniel.
Was going to pick up the wee scot but the non soak of a synthetic is appealing. Was wondering everyone's thoughts/input.
Teiste

Re: Shaving Brush Recommendation

Post by Teiste »

My friend , I would go for a Simpson T2 or T3 synthetic.Impossible to beat for the price

Here is my video review of the T2 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHz2bcySj_A&t=32s
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

I have a T3 on the way although it seems to be taking the scenic route through Canada, Togo, and parts of South America before getting here.
Ed
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Hello Hanerc

No comment about the brush, however, WELCOME to smf

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Simpson's has a very good reputation. I'm sure their synthetic brushes are very good.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, Hanerc!

Synthetic brushes have a number of advantages, such as being easy to clean and quick to dry. They have different performance characteristics than badger and boar, but they are competent in their own right. I haven't tried enough of them to say what's best, so I'll leave that to the others.

- Murray
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

I already have a Jagger silvertip synthetic and it performs nicely. No issues, dries quickly, washes clean. I ordered the T3 because I'm an exclusive face latherer and the chubby style seemed like a good choice. I'm more of a painter than a smasher so I expect the T3 will give me a good combination.

If it ever shows up.

As for recommendations: Both Bullgooseshaving and West Coast Shaving have plenty of options in synthetic, badger, and boar. Can't see how you could go wrong with a synthetic from BG (no affiliation).
Ed
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

My favourite daily driver brush is the Stirling 2-Band Synthetic.
I use it at least 2/3 of the time, out of 12 or so synthetic, badger, and boar brushes.

Knot is 24 x 56 mm, brush weight 85 g.
I particularly love the retro hourglass handle. Always a good grip even when you're flicking excess water off of it.
The black & white colour scheme (of the handle, at least) makes it look like it's from the 1920s or '30s
There's a white & green version of it too.

Best of all, it's only USD$13.99 from stirlingsoap.com.
Or CAD$24.99 from topofthechain.ca

I have a Wee Scot, and it is a great little brush. I mostly use it when trying out sample soaps in small containers, or if I want to conserve a rapidly-diminishing favourite cream. Or just for fun, like taking out the MG with the top down on a sunny day.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

consider a large omega boar brush such as the professional. with a soft soap it's a good as any of the expensive brushes. soaps such as: palmolive shave stick or FINE soaps work great!
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

gil3591 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:01 pm consider a large omega boar brush such as the professional. with a soft soap it's a good as any of the expensive brushes. soaps such as: palmolive shave stick or FINE soaps work great!
[-X I know it's just a question of personal preference, but I would be quick to cancel out your vote.
I find the Omega Pro 49 to be "clownishly large". The knot is far too long and floppy.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

John Rose wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:31 pm
gil3591 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:01 pm consider a large omega boar brush such as the professional. with a soft soap it's a good as any of the expensive brushes. soaps such as: palmolive shave stick or FINE soaps work great!
[-X I know it's just a question of personal preference, but I would be quick to cancel out your vote.
I find the Omega Pro 49 to be "clownishly large". The knot is far too long and floppy.
I would say that it depends on how you are using the brush: For face-lathering, lathering in a bowl, or lathering on top of the cake of soap. These brushes were most used by barbers who lathered on top of the cake of soap, and I find boar particularly suited to this application.

I, personally, prefer smaller brushes, but I have used the Omega 49 in the past for lathering in a bowl, to good effect. I can't speak to using it for face-lathering, as I have never done this, but I know that others have.

My favorite boar brush is the Semogue 1305 (much smaller than the Omega in question). It is made with a special grade of boar bristle, different from - and superior to, any other boar brush that I have ever used. Semogue also uses this grade of boar in the denser 830, but not in any other brushes, as far as I know. The 1305 is good for all types of lathering, though the denser 830 may be even better for face-lathering.

As usual, YMMV.

- Murray
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

John Rose wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:31 pm
clownishly floppy? don't know what planet you're on :)
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

Welcome to SMF! I've seen some earlier recommendations in various other threads here on SMF for Kent Bk4 and for it to be quite good as a beginner's brush and I agree, it has been working ace for me anyways!
Olle
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i'm referring to the omega 20106
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I got lost at 'the non-soak of a synthetic'? Does anyone soak their badger or boar brushes? For how long? Why? I just pick one up and use it - dip it in the hot water, shake out the right amount, and get to work on the soap.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Chris, I soak boar brushes while I do my beard prep. Since boar bristle absorbs water and becomes more flexible and softer at the tips, I find an advantage to this. I don't soak badger or synthetic fiber.

- Murray
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

gil3591 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:20 am i'm referring to the omega 20106
"Loft = 65 mm" - Good Lord, that's even worse than the 63 mm loft of a Pro 49. :roll:
Let's move on to something less controversial, like which end of a boiled egg should be cracked open first. :whistle:
brothers

Post by brothers »

Semogue (Portugal) makes some excellent brushes, synthetic included. If you're still looking, that would be a possibility, considering the reviews that have been posted in various places.

We must recognize the fact that Omega sells a lot of brushes of all dimensions and materials. One man's personal preference carries no weight, as compared to the next man's preference. Viva la difference! (Pardon my french! - :lol: )

Imagine what would result of a comparison of Simpson's volume of brushes sold as compared to Omega's sales! I have no clue, and no opinion! :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Haln

Post by Haln »

I've had my Wee Scot for years and really enjoy it as an occasional change (not daily)
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Badger: Kent BK8
Boar: Semogue 1305 or 620

While I have a few others, these tend to be my go-to brushes. The 620 replaced my beloved 1305 which had a core knot breakdown and fell apart one day while using it..... took me a couple of years to finally replace it.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?