Pure Badger Surprise

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
EL Alamein

Pure Badger Surprise

Post by EL Alamein »

Just a short note to relate how surprised I was at how well my very first badger brush performed recently. It's a decades old Col Conk pure badger that I picked up as my first badger brush (not my first brush though as that was an old boar handed down to me by my brother and I used for years until it shed out).

I haven't used this brush in almost 20 years and gave it to my oldest son (now almost 8 years old). He and his younger brother like to pretend shave while I actually shave.

Well, recently my oldest son picked out a soap that I was anticipating as well and he wanted to use his brush on it (my old Conk). So I decided to just whip up the lather and we'd all use the same stuff. Youngest son agreed so that's how it went.

Well you could have knocked my over with a feather when I applied the lather from that old thing. It was top notch, thick dense and protective. And even though pure badger is prickly I didn't feel nearly anything as I only employ painting strokes while face lathering. Had a fantastic shave and have been using this old brush for nearly a week now.

What a happy surprise and a great moment with my sons as well.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Pure Badger Surprise

Post by drmoss_ca »

Ha! My first brush was a Conk Pure as well, I still have it and perhaps I shall dig it out. I remember it as being a bit prickly.

And as for shared shaving moments, this was 1994 in Antigua:

Learning to Shave.jpg
Learning to Shave.jpg (130.05 KiB) Viewed 5646 times
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

So I used it today, and found it less prickly than remembered, but much floppier. Nonetheless, it made a massive amount of creamy lather very easily and quickly from my homemade soap.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I love that pic of you and your son.

That pic of your Conk brush is nigh the same as mine except I have the almost black hair version. Yeah, definitely floppy but I don't mind that.

Chris