Sensible or cheap bastard?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Hanend

Sensible or cheap bastard?

Post by Hanend »

Over the last few weeks I've realized I can get another extremely good lather if I "squeeze" out the brush onto my hand for the last pass and then applying this to the face. I haven't really seen this being a thing so I am wondering if (1) my lathering technique is subpar (I do splay a bit so the lather does get "down there") or (2) my brush doesn't quite give up its goods optimally (Muhle silver tip badger (traditional).. seems fancy pants enough?) .. or perhaps (3) this is all normal and I am just being a cheapskate about lather ? What say ye?
primotenore

Re: Sensible or cheap bastard?

Post by primotenore »

I do the same thing daily. Not cheap at all. The best goop is in the breach of the brush.
~~~~~
Primo

Shaving since 1971, enjoying my shaves since 2014
Ah, che bel vivere, che bel piacere per un barbiere di qualità... =D>
brothers

Post by brothers »

Nothing cheap or miserly about that! The brush makes the lather and using the best part of the lather is definitely sensible. You've got a good brush and you've learned how to use it to the best advantage. Welcome to SMF!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hanend, welcome to SMF!

I don't think you're cheap or miserly, either. I'm not familiar with your actual brush, but it is not unusual for a brush with a dense knot to withhold lather. You just need to adjust to the performance characteristics of your particular brush, and if that requires you to squeeze the last of the lather out of the knot, that is the best course of action. If you are happy with the brush in all other respects, I would stick with it.

- Murray
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

When I'm done shaving, I divide the rest of the lather in the brush into 3 partial squeezes:
  1. Use it to clean the scum off the inside of the front of the sink basin.
  2. Use it to clean the scum off the inside of the back of the sink basin.
  3. Use it to clean the scum off the outside of the lather bowl (which was floating in the hot rinse water).
This is possible even with a Simpson Wee Scot.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Old time barbers often held the brush by the base of the knot rather than by the handle. This pushed lather deep in the knot up towards the tip. I don't think there was any special quality to that deeply buried lather; they just didn't like to waste it.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

drmoss_ca wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:59 am Old time barbers often held the brush by the base of the knot rather than by the handle. This pushed lather deep in the knot up towards the tip. I don't think there was any special quality to that deeply buried lather; they just didn't like to waste it.
Pinching the base of the knot is handy for giving it more backbone when loading the brush too.
Also these, from a 1911 barbers' manual:

Those knots look huge. :shock:

I like that marginalia: "PREDICTION - Neither a lather mug nor a brush will be used in the barber shop of 1930."
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

That lather inside the brush is also where the heat is stored. The warm lather can be very nice on a winter morning.
Rick
primotenore

Post by primotenore »

John Rose wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:31 pm
drmoss_ca wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:59 am Old time barbers often held the brush by the base of the knot rather than by the handle. This pushed lather deep in the knot up towards the tip. I don't think there was any special quality to that deeply buried lather; they just didn't like to waste it.
Pinching the base of the knot is handy for giving it more backbone when loading the brush too.
Also these, from a 1911 barbers' manual:

Those knots look huge. :shock:

I like that marginalia: "PREDICTION - Neither a lather mug nor a brush will be used in the barber shop of 1930."
Thank you for the link to the Barbers Manual. Holding the brush at the base of the knot also takes the stress off of where the knot is tied. Can only be better for the brush.
~~~~~
Primo

Shaving since 1971, enjoying my shaves since 2014
Ah, che bel vivere, che bel piacere per un barbiere di qualità... =D>
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

17 thumbs up on the input here....learn/see something new every day

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum