Badger brush - been out of the game a bit

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Badger brush - been out of the game a bit

Post by Sam »

Have been using my Verdman badger brush, tuxedo knot exclusively. Nice custom handle. Wanting to get back to a badger brush to rotate. Wow, prices of Simpsons are up there. Sold all my Rooney's off. Wondering who makes a 22 or 24mm brush that I can travel with but is also around $50 or less. Will probably use this as a travel brush.
LostInCincy

Re: Badger brush - been out of the game a bit

Post by LostInCincy »

There are good options at that price point, but none would be better than buying a Maggard’s Super High Density knot and putting it in a cheapish handle yourself. They sell combo kits to do just that on their site. While some of their SHD knots can require a bit too much work, the smaller knot sizes you’re looking for are very efficient in use.

-Dan
Dan
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Sam, I recently bought one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-1-2-Dozen-NO ... SwaSVcRSdh

I bought from another vendor that was selling one at a time. Now only this vendor has them and he's selling a half dozen at a time. It's still a good deal though as I find this brush to be excellent. If you get the half dozen you're set for life no matter how you use them.

This brush is vintage but still nothing wrong with it. It has very soft hair that whips up a decent lather very quickly. It reminds me of a Kent in terms of softness yet the bristles have some backbone to them, a little more than a Kent but not much. You'll have a few hairs shed in the beginning but then that stops and from there it just performs like some of the best brushes out there.

Hope that helps.

Chris
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Some good suggestions here. I'll add that you can get a Simpson Colonel X2L for not much more than $50, or a Commodore X2 if you prefer the handle on that one.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ah, if I went with a Simpsons, Chubby or a Tulip are my preferred
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Fair enough, Sam. I have the Maggard SHD knot, nominally 22mm. It makes a very full 24mm brush. I like it fine, but the hair is heavily treated, as are many badger knots these days. It has those gel-type tips when wet, and it's not a feel I particularly enjoy. That said, it lathers very well and is not as gelly as some other knots I've encountered. I put it in a cheap handle from Whipped Dog and came in well under $50.

Yaqi also sells some very inexpensive badgers.

Honestly, though, given your tastes, I don't think you'll enjoy the budget badgers nearly as much as a good hundred-dollar Shavemac. 22mm of Finest or Silvertip will be pretty dang nice IMO.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Yeah I’m thinking I may get Chris Moss to help me with all the different types of hair for shave Mac but I’d probably go back with that. Or buy a Rooney from him
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Sam wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:53 pm Yeah I’m thinking I may get Chris Moss to help me with all the different types of hair for shave Mac but I’d probably go back with that. Or buy a Rooney from him
Sam, if you haven’t, take a look at the Shaving-Knot-Configurator section of the Configurator on the shavemac website. It describes the properties of the various badger hairs offered.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

the shavemac website seems to be really well done and very informative...bravo

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Bryan, it has been a while but yes, I will check that out. I do love my Verdman brush, and love the handle. I like the colofrul displays of the resin and how each handle is different because of the veining. I did love the first SMF brush with that wooden handle. Never got a Tulip, I think Gordon loved them. The Polo, I don't know, never really considered it and the Persian Jar, something a bit off about that. So for Simpsons, it was always the Chubby for me.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sam, you may be interested in a brush listed on QED shaving website. $49 Best badger 24 mm in a faux horn handle.
Here's a link: https://www.qedusa.com/select-select-qb ... -1147.html
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444