Getting a Chubby(!)

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Getting a Chubby(!)

Post by drmoss_ca »

I was recently nearly persuaded to sell one of these, but fortunately for me I caught myself. Not so nice for the prospective buyer, and I apologise to him. Decided to use them rather than hoard them.
IMG_0906.jpeg
IMG_0906.jpeg (322.06 KiB) Viewed 4274 times
All Somersets save for the Manchurian, which I believe was a Manxman.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Getting a Chubby(!)

Post by fallingwickets »

nice....i have a couple of 3's...need to find them and start using them in support of yours :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Poor me! Down to 19 brushes and never owned a Simpson. Gary posted a while back that he was considering making and selling some one-off or limited edition Simpsons or quasi-Simpsons, but hasn't yet announced anything. Things are looking bleak as my brush lot is becoming more limited as opposed to expanding as it did a few years ago. I'm satisfied with what I've got. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

19 brushes and never owned a Simpson.
:shock:

I have enough tulips and polos to open my own store! damn brush disorder :D :D :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

If DrP. is still around I imagine him drowning in brushes by now. He had it bad.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I’ve tried all 3 sizes of the Simpson Chubby, the M&F equivalent and both sizes of the New Forest Tubby. None has suited me at all due to the density and stiff backbone of the knots. I do, however, own 30 badger, 3 boar and 3 synthetic brushes. I use a different brush every day except for the synthetics, which have been relegated to the bottom drawer of the bathroom vanity. My badgers comprise Simpson, shavemac, M&F, Kent, Semogue, Thater, Vulfix, Plisson, Paladin and VP Leonhardy. The knots run the gamut from pure, Finest,Best, 3-band, 2-band to Manchurian and I love them all except the 2-bands. The boars are from Omega, Semogue and Thater. I know I have far too many brushes, but other than 3 of the 4 2-bands and the synthetics I’d be hard pressed to sell any.
Bryan
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

For me the Somerset era Chubby brushes have been much better than the modern ones, with somewhat better flow-through and softer hair tips. They're wonderful brushes, with few equals.
_______
John
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Further to the decision to use rather than hoard, here's another view of today's SOTD:
IMG_0909.jpeg
IMG_0909.jpeg (224.75 KiB) Viewed 4178 times
Along with the LP No.9, none of these can be bought anymore. The Sweet Almond Oil cream was as soft and moist as when new - those jars did a better job than the Creighton's plastic tubs do! The Chubby didn't shed a hair and the shave was smooth and easy. No sting from the Love Potion when applied. Very happy!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace