We Prep Our Beards, So....

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: We Prep Our Beards, So....

Post by drmoss_ca »

As promised, I used the Beaufort today with no presoak. The difference is small, but it is more scratchy when not soaked. Whether that small difference is worth the risk to the glue holding in the knot is for each to decide. I am surprised to find this brush is growing on me; the loose knot and long loft make it very good at creating lather on a hard soap, but the hair is stiff enough that it doesn't become completely flaccid when applying it to the face. I think it will stay out on the Shelves of Shame rather than go back into the basement.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thumbs up on the beaufort 'save' :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

As far back as I can remember I’ve soaked my badger and boar brushes. For the last few years I’ve been using a Moss Scuttle: Prior to my pre-shave shower I rinse my brush under hot water, fill both chambers of the scuttle with hot water and immerse the badger/boar bristles in the hot water; due to the size of the scuttles upper chamber the glue section of the knot doesn’t sit in the hot water. So far there have been no ill effects to the knot. I only face lather and use cream. I apply the cream to my face with circular motions and continue to build lather this way all over my face and finish with paint brush strokes. In my 50 years of shaving I’ve not had any problems with either badger or boar knots, with one exception: my most expensive brush a Rooney 2/1 with a Finest knot I bought 9 years ago; the centre of the knot has hollowed out. I don’t know if this is due to my style of lathering or a weakness in the badger hair. :-k
Bryan