Semogue 2-Band Finest Badger

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Semogue 2-Band Finest Badger

Post by TRBeck »

I got a screaming deal on a cherry-handled SOC Finest Badger last week, so despite my plan to buy no more brushes - maybe ever, but certainly not in the foreseeable future - I ordered one. I'm only a few lathers and a couple of shaves in, but my impressions so far are very favorable.

The brush has great flow-through, which is always an area of concern for me with badger. Tips are soft but not gelled; I dislike the slimy feel of gel tips, so again, this is a relief. The thing builds lather really well and has excellent backbone. I have read comparisons of this knot variously to things I haven't used (Simpson Manchurian) and things I've used and really like (Shavemac 2-band silvertip). For me, it is a bit firmer than my similarly-sized Shavemac 2-band silvertip, although the two are knot totally different to one another. On the whole, it's a terrific latherer thus far and well-suited to my preferences.

I'm certainly curious to see how it develops over time and how my impressions change (if at all) with further use.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Semogue 2-Band Finest Badger

Post by drmoss_ca »

Sounds rather nice. I've never had a Semogue of any sort, but it's really not the time for me to be buying more of anything!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for the impressions, Tim.

I'm not a face-latherer, so no reason for me to get a brush of two-banded badger. (Actually, I have one, so I know that for a fact!)

My favorite brushes, however, in both badger and boar, are Semogues. Their silvertip brushes in standard density were the first silvertip brushes that I liked. (All previous purchases had disappointed me.) And while previous experiences in boar had reminded me of straw, the unique bristle in the 1305 and 830 wowed me.

Since I had lived in Portugal from 1978 to 1981, I had to try these Portuguese brushes when I became aware of them. The fact that they proved superior for my use to everything I had tried previously was extremely gratifying.

At this point, I have too many brushes and no need of anything "better," so I'll stick with what I have.

- Murray
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Tim, I agree entirely with your assessment. Generally, I’m not a fan of 2-band because of their high density and backbone, but the Semogue seems to have got it right in this regard, at least for me. I’ve tried several shavemac 2-bands, but didn’t like them until I had Bernd make one with a high loft. I find this brush to be comparable to my Semogue 2-band although it does splay a bit more because of the higher loft and fan-shape. Overall, I find Semogues badger brushes to be very good value and to compete well in terms of quality and performance with other high-end brushes selling for much more.
Bryan
levente

Post by levente »

Tim,

I'm posting not because I have anything to add to the topic, but rather to mention that I always appreciate a good homophonic pun. Well done!

Regards,
Basil
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

CMur12 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:00 pm Thanks for the impressions, Tim.

I'm not a face-latherer, so no reason for me to get a brush of two-banded badger. (Actually, I have one, so I know that for a fact!)

My favorite brushes, however, in both badger and boar, are Semogues. Their silvertip brushes in standard density were the first silvertip brushes that I liked. (All previous purchases had disappointed me.) And while previous experiences in boar had reminded me of straw, the unique bristle in the 1305 and 830 wowed me.

Since I had lived in Portugal from 1978 to 1981, I had to try these Portuguese brushes when I became aware of them. The fact that they proved superior for my use to everything I had tried previously was extremely gratifying.

At this point, I have too many brushes and no need of anything "better," so I'll stick with what I have.

- Murray

Thank you both Tim and Murray, and please do add one more vote for Semogue.

After my retirement last year we moved to Portugal and like Murray I too like to experiment with what Portugal (and Spain) has to offer.
Semogue SOC brushes were nothing new to me, I have owned them for many years, but I now use them more often than in the past.
In line with Mediterranean / Iberian preferences, I have extensively used my boar Semogues this summer and have grown quite fond of them.
Unlike what some people claim on other shaving websites, I have not found any evidence of their alleged floppiness.

But I am particularly attracted to the SOC badger brushes and if someone were to ask me what first badger brush to buy, these Semogues would always be at the forefront of my mind. They are well made, terrific value for money, and give some more expensive badger brushes a good run for their money.

There was a time when I preferred slightly larger knots than the Semogues’ 24 mm, but now 24 mm works just fine for me and neither do I miss larger brushes nor would I settle for a larger knot if I were to buy a new brush today - which I don’t, as I have too many brushes in my stable as it is. :P

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Thanks for the great posts, gentlemen.

I also quite enjoy my other Semogue brushes. Last summer, I realized I had acquired a small arsenal of Semogue boars, bought a couple more to fill out my roster (I think I have every knot covered save the SOC boar), and used them exclusively all summer long. I am really fond of all of them, and my favorite is whichever I'm using at the time (Murray, I share your appreciation for the 830, which I consider sort of the silvertip of boar).

This was my first 2-band Semogue purchase, but I have a mixed boar/badger knot (actually, three :oops: ) and a limited edition silvertip, too. They are all superb. The only other brushmakers represented in my den at this point are Omega (a bunch of boars) and Shavemac (a 2-band silvertip).

The handle shape Semogue uses for its SOC line is IMO the most ergonomic brush handle going, and the knots - from the inexpensive 1470 boar (perhaps my most-used boar) to the $100 LE silvertips - are beyond reproach IMO (I concur, Brutus, that the boars are not floppy at all).

I suppose at some point I will have to finally buy an SOC boar to fill the only gap in my collection. :)
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks guys, for such an informative topic. We do enjoy the discussion when we're talking subjectively about our favorite brushes.

It occurs to me that my own brush experiences have inadvertently omitted (at least) two catagories of commonly popular brushes, namely the Zenith and Semogue badgers. Even though I have thoroughly exhausted the subject of boars, as they say, been there and done that!

Focusing on the Zenith and Semogue brands of badger brushes has never crossed my mind until you fellows created this intriguing topic. As others have said, I certainly don't literally need more brushes. However, maybe it wouldn't be any harm to just take a look around. Call it window-shopping?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

What do you think we are, Gary? Enablers? :D
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Aty

Post by Aty »

To keep my word, I should spent a few words about my newly formed relationship with recently acquired Plisson EW. The thing is, I will need to apologise for holding back, and not saying much new earlier on. Brush is good, I like it, however that's as much as I can say. A few thoughts.

I am lacking sufficient terminology to be more descriptive, just as I am not really trained to talk half-intelligently about sensory cells, and how signals from brush gliding on my skin are received, and interpreted. For the moment I am not sure I can read difference between other Plisson HMW which was purchased also this year, and EW bristles. Surely more experienced and knowledgeable folks can recognise differences, but for someone who never paid attention to brushes, and suddenly is suppose to evaluate one, that is not going to happen right now. Let's say, I am happy with both, regardless whether medium is a soap or cream (paste for some).

The thing is, MÜHLE is not too far behind with their products, and completely different price range. That leads me to impression, that brush technology is highly advanced, with top shelve product quality, and only really connoisseur grooming person can speak about differences between individual brushes authoritatively. I am hoping with time my senses will tell me more. For now, it's all good.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I used my Shavemac 2-band badger today for the purposes of comparison with the Semogue. The Shavemac I have is the regular 2-band silvertip, not the D01 2-band. I love this brush and have used it often over the last three years.

The Shavemac feels less firm on the face than the Semogue, and the tips are slightly softer, while still avoiding gel territory. I would say that the Semogue is perhaps slightly more densely packed, but not enough to account for the difference in knot firmness. The hair shafts themselves are just a touch sturdier. The Semogue reminds me of a Thater 2-band I had back in 2010 or so, which is sort of funny since current Thater knots are thought to be made by Shavemac.

Both the Semogue and Shavemac are terrific, with the Shavemac being a gently scrubby face massager and the Semogue being a firmly luxurious face scrubber. If forced to choose, I'd still prefer my mixed Semogue to either, but they are tremendous brushes and either would please most wetshavers.
Regards,
Tim

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Tim, what are the prices of the Semouge you like and then that shave mag brush you talk about