Simpson synthetic

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Simpson synthetic

Post by Sam »

Anyone have experience with a Simpson’s synthetic brush? The prices aren’t bad and there’s one brush, the Trafalgar, that has three separate sizes and you can pick up the large not one for around $30
brothers

Re: Simpson synthetic

Post by brothers »

Sam, have you experienced many synthetics? It's taken many years for the synthetics to evolve into their current state, in general. In my case, over the years I've bought and sold 8 or more different variants from several different makers, and during those days I also was able to use a Simpson synthetic that was loaned to me by a member at SMF. My best-loved synthetic (best loved and the only one I use) was purchased from a website that sells the knot for those gents who don't chase after brand names and/or don't mind a no-name brand handle. Regarding the Simpsons brush I tried, it clearly did the job of making lather, but just wasn't my cup of tea as compared to others I've used. However, $30 for a Simpsons brush is good value by all measures. No risk there!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well I bought a synthetic from one of the guys on the forum, Verdman, a tuxedo knot with a resin handle and it does very well. You know I’ve been reading some of the threads about badger hair now not being the best unless you want to spend a lot. I’m thinking more of a fun brush that I can take on travel and I did try a Simpsons one time. It was probably the first generation of synthetics and it would’ve been a chubby. But I’ve been reading that the Trafalgar is pretty good and there are websites selling the large version for $30 and under. Now that I’m shaving my head a big brush would not be a bad thing at all.
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Gary:

Who makes and which model is your current favorite synth???

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Nice to see you, Chris.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Thanks Chris. I hope all is well with you?? It's been long time. Any idea what Gordon's current status is?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Somewhat better than the alternative is the answer to the first, and how I wish I knew for the second. I fear the worst for Gordon.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Chris, I understand and empathize. My Grandmother had an expression, "gettin' old ain't for sissies." I do hope Gordon is still with us...
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I had a number for him once and last I recall, when I called, it said disconnected. He was in Tampa and I met him for a dinner one night at a mall and a sandwich at a deli in the mall. Nice guy.