A new adjustable injector razor - from Parker

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

A new adjustable injector razor - from Parker

Post by Pauldog »

I just learned about this. I'm pretty sure it uses the standard size injector blades.
Attachments
Parker instructions.jpg
Parker instructions.jpg (115.47 KiB) Viewed 6806 times
Parker inj.jpg
Parker inj.jpg (93.73 KiB) Viewed 6806 times
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Re: A new adjustable injector razor - from Parker

Post by Pauldog »

I want to add a link to Mantic's article at his Sharpologist website about the razor, but I don't see a way to edit what I just posted above.

https://sharpologist.com/parker-adjusta ... tor-razor/
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks, Paul.

I just ordered one!

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Murray, I hope it will go low enough for you. Like Spinal Tap's amplifier that goes to 11, maybe the razor will go to Negative 1. :)

With 40 free blades, the razor is a very good deal if you like the blades.

I don't remember if you ever tried the Schick Proline B-20 blades on an injector razor, but that's what I would try.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Paul -

Mantic said the razor went from very mild to very aggressive, so thought it was worth a try.

I have quite a stash of Injector blades: lots of Personna and other ASR, German Schick (not very well regarded), lots of Chinese Schick, over 160 American Schick blades, including the older Plus Platinum, and even two dispensers (14 blades each) of Personna 74.

The Proline blades would have to be cut down, wouldn't they?

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Looks like they have re-created the old Personna Adjustable. I have one somewhere, but never use it as it is too aggressive for me.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
levente

Post by levente »

Murray,

No, the Proline B-20 blades don't have to be cut down. They are made specifically for the Injector razor. You are probably thinking about the P-30 blades made for other single edge razors.

The B-20 blades are sharp and smooth, plus they last a long time, but I find that I need to use a lighter hand with them when they are fresh.

Regards,
Basil
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

What a wonderful thread!

Basil's here!

A new injector!

Information about blades with which I'm totally unfamiliar!

I had my grandfather's injector for a short time; I couldn't tell you the model number, but I quite liked the way it shaved. I ultimately couldn't hold onto it for sentimental reasons: the man was an awful human being, and I grew angry when I used it. At any rate, I've thought about acquiring another injector from time to time.

As I recall, the Chinese Schicks were well-regarded (not as nice as vintage blades, but the best among then-current production in about 2010 or so). Are these Prolines better? Are Chinese Schicks still available?
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

levente wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:13 am Murray,

No, the Proline B-20 blades don't have to be cut down. They are made specifically for the Injector razor. You are probably thinking about the P-30 blades made for other single edge razors.

The B-20 blades are sharp and smooth, plus they last a long time, but I find that I need to use a lighter hand with them when they are fresh.

Regards,
Basil
Great to see you, Basil! Thanks for the feedback.

- Murray
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

drmoss_ca wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:47 am Looks like they have re-created the old Personna Adjustable. I have one somewhere, but never use it as it is too aggressive for me.

C.
I hope the new one isn't a copy of of the Personna Adjustable if this is the case.

Mark/Mantic said that he favors a mild razor and that this one adjusted from very mild to very aggressive, so I'm hopeful.

At any rate, I'll report back after I get mine. Then we'll all know.

- Murray
levente

Post by levente »

Tim,

I just checked Amazon and the Schick injector blades on the website are made in China. They are decent blades to be sure, relatively sharp and smooth, and I can normally get about five shaves out of them. They are better than the German made ones, which are rubbish, a bit better than the ASR/Personna blades, from which I can get about four good shaves, and nowhere near as good as vintage U.S. made blades. These new Japanese made blades are quite sharp, smooth (though not quite up to vintage blade standards), and they last like crazy. I typically can get 15 or 16 shaves from them. As someone who dislikes the first shave from just about any blade, I find that to be a big advantage. However, one must be careful on the first few shaves with the blade due to its level of sharpness. The first handful of times I used a P-20, I used an "injector" hand, applying more pressure than I do using a DE razor, and lived to regret it. Using a lighter touch yields excellent results, and I find that there is something quite intuitive about using an injector razor. I haven't noticed any skin thinning as I have from using overly sharp DE blades, as the Prolines lose a little sharpness after a couple of shaves but hold an edge for an extended period of time.

Hi, Murray! Thanks, I peek in occasionally to see the old gang. Hope you are well.

Regards,
Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm looking forward for Murray's experiences with this razor. In the past I couldn't figure out how to get a really smooth shave with anyone's injector and blades.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Great info, Basil. Thank you. This is certainly one worth considering for me. I liked my injector in particular for travel and for hurried mornings. As you said, there is something intuitive as long as you remember to use a light touch.

I suppose if blade supply is a non-issue, I'll put this on the potential purchase list. Actually, this is my entire shave-related potential purchase list at present. I'm in purge mode.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

brothers wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:04 am I'm looking forward for Murray's experiences with this razor. In the past I couldn't figure out how to get a really smooth shave with anyone's injector and blades.
I had similar issues with many models, especially the pretty little butterscotch-handled E type (but it shaved quickly! geddit?) I think that's why the "Featherjector" blade hack was invented. The 'N' types turned out to be just right though; not as close a a DE with a fresh blade, but smooth, comfy and not so prone to causing ingrown hairs.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The Schick Proline blades are made in Japan, and I found them especially good, and well worth trying. The hassle is that they come in packs without the key to open the razor, but I keep an empty regular injector blade pack or two so I can transplant blades.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

The Proline blades are good to know about.

The Parker injector arrived today, so I'll try it for the first time tomorrow night. It might take me a few times to reacquaint myself with injector shaving.

First impressions are that the finish looks a little rough. The plastic underbody of the handle feels very cheap, but definitely grippy. Actual shaving performance, of course, remains to be seen.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

levente wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:17 pm Tim,

I just checked Amazon and the Schick injector blades on the website are made in China. They are decent blades to be sure, relatively sharp and smooth, and I can normally get about five shaves out of them. They are better than the German made ones, which are rubbish, a bit better than the ASR/Personna blades, from which I can get about four good shaves, and nowhere near as good as vintage U.S. made blades. These new Japanese made blades are quite sharp, smooth (though not quite up to vintage blade standards), and they last like crazy. I typically can get 15 or 16 shaves from them. As someone who dislikes the first shave from just about any blade, I find that to be a big advantage. However, one must be careful on the first few shaves with the blade due to its level of sharpness. The first handful of times I used a P-20, I used an "injector" hand, applying more pressure than I do using a DE razor, and lived to regret it. Using a lighter touch yields excellent results, and I find that there is something quite intuitive about using an injector razor. I haven't noticed any skin thinning as I have from using overly sharp DE blades, as the Prolines lose a little sharpness after a couple of shaves but hold an edge for an extended period of time.

Hi, Murray! Thanks, I peek in occasionally to see the old gang. Hope you are well.

Regards,
Basil
Basil, you've described my experiences with the Schick P-30 exactly. Cheers!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I just had my first shave with the Parker adjustable injector, and my first impressions are very positive.
(I reported on it in my SOTD, also.)

My concern was whether it would be adjustable to a mild enough level. At "1" (the lowest setting) and "2", I could sling it with abandon - typical of a very mild razor - even when I was not yet fully comfortable with the shaving angle for an injector. I moved it up to three, which required a little less abandon, but was still mild and probably a better setting for me. It glided smoothly, even with an ASR blade. Tomorrow's shower will probably show me how good a shave I got, but my impression so far is that it was pretty good.

This razor is made of stamped metal and cheap plastic, similar in design to Schick Injectors, though the Schick product felt a little more substantial, used better plastic, and was better finished. The Parker however appears to be a very good shaver.

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

drmoss_ca wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:47 am Looks like they have re-created the old Personna Adjustable. I have one somewhere, but never use it as it is too aggressive for me.

C.

I have one of those Personna adjustables, and I must have tried it a few times, but my recollection is that the adjustment is backwards from what you would think it is. Themba worked with it fairly extensively, but now I don't remember very well his instructions on using it. I suppose I can just experiment with mine.

What Chris wrote makes me wonder if the Parker is just a knockoff. Murray, are you familiar with the Personna adjustable?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Paul, I'm not familiar with the Personna Adjustable. Wasn't there also a PAL Adjustable, or was that the same thing?

I'm pretty impressed with the Parker. I always found the Schicks to be on the aggressive side, except for the Type M Adjustable at lowest setting. The Parker starts out very mild, and it adjusts smoothly towards the more aggressive. I would say the metal parts, in an attractive brushed satin finish, are comparable to the pressed metal construction of the Schick product. The plastic piece under the handle is very cheap plastic, cheaply molded, but quite grippable.

I think it's a very good shaver and would recommend it to anyone who wants a good, serviceable Injector.

- Murray