Swede's - I had forgotten

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Gene

Swede's - I had forgotten

Post by Gene »

I have been using my General razor for quite some time. But - a comment from Dr Moss about the blades being for a different purpose than face shaving has stuck with me. Last night I decided to perform an experiment. I have an older Tech razor (the kind with the rounded triangle-shaped slots in the base - a bit more aggressive than other Tech razors). I paired this with a heavy handle to change the way the razor felt in my hand - all the weight in my hand. So far so good. Now - for a blade. As I rummaged around I came across an opened 5-pack of Swede's that had to have been opened a couple of years ago. So I put one in the razor - ready for the shave this morning.

I typically shave in the shower - and it was no different today. Same technique as usual - currently up in the rotation is a tube of Nivea shave cream (purchased at a Canadian market on the recommendation of Wendell) and my reliable ancient Tweezerman $11 badger brush.

The results? Nothing short of amazing. I had forgotten how smooth these blades really are. Even from an old open pack. Frankly it felt like I was just moving the razor over my face without a blade in it - it was that smooth. Excellent performance. Wish they still made them.

Or, I wish there was a blade this good for the General since the Swede's will eventually be gone.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Swede's - I had forgotten

Post by fallingwickets »

a 'perfect' shave is one of the best ways to brighten up a day :lol:

enjoy the blades while they last

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Try the Schick Proline P-30 blades, from Japan. That's the size that fits the Artist Club razor, and the B-20 is the standard injector size.

They shouldn't be too hard to find online.
pausted

Post by pausted »

Gene wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:25 am

The results? Nothing short of amazing. I had forgotten how smooth these blades really are. Even from an old open pack. Frankly it felt like I was just moving the razor over my face without a blade in it - it was that smooth. Excellent performance. Wish they still made them.
I have been doing a little test and have found that the currently produced King C Gillette blade shaves exactly like the Swede. I use the same prep, same razor and same soap. I cannot tell the difference between the two blades. Obviously they are not the same blade but IMO they shave the same.
Maybe this is a solution to the problem of Swedes being no longer available. YMMV.
Best regards,

Basil
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

im going to try a few and see if its close.

thanks
pausted

Post by pausted »

I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts.
Best regards,

Basil
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Personally, I never found the "Swedes" that exceptional. Modern P&G blades, such as the Perma Sharps, Rubies, and such feel just as good to me. I also really like Treet Dura Sharps (PTFE-coated carbon steel) and Personna Med Preps. In my opinion, the best blades of all time were the Personna 74 (sharp, smooth, and exceptionally long-lasting).

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Rubies have become my gold standard benchmark against which all blades are measured. several years ago there was a discussion about fakes etc etc and i think maybe bullgoose was offering verified legit blades and so i bought a bunch....very glad i did

clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

KcG's arrived last week via amzn. Packaging is decent; Two packs in an eye catching box.

blades are very smooth. It is a very nice blade to shave with, but one noticeable (for me anyway) outcome is a faster growing beard. Not sure if that makes sense or not, but what i mean is that after the shave my skin feels ultra smooth but not even 12 hours later i feel a lot of stubble, or more stubble than i usually would using a different blade. Some gents notice the same outcome when using a cartridge vs a de...the cartridge shave encourages growth :shock: :shock: :D

In any event, I would say that next time I need personna's I'll order the KcG's instead....ex the stubble the blade is the better one to use

clive
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Sounds like the commonly reported issue with Feather DE blades - sharp stubble that is more prickly and noticeable than if a less sharp blade is used. I think it was kaptain_zero (Christian) who called it the 'M-factor' as Merkur blades, being so much less sharp, always seemed to give longer lasting shaves.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
pausted

Post by pausted »

Clive, thanks for your report. I will be on the lookout to see if my stubble grows faster. I had not noticed but I’ll watch for it. Anyway, glad you like the blades.
Best regards,

Basil
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

more than likely my biggest shaving disappointment, merkur 'changing' their blade

clive
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Clive -

So, Merkur actually changed their blades?

I thought they were just always rotten. 8)

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm happy with Merkur blades, but my stash goes nearly twenty years, so are they old or new?

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Murray, as far as i know the blade changed several years ago and so I'm guessing the good Doc has old blades! :D Also, if you thought the old version was rotten the new ones would ruin you forever :lol: :lol: :lol:

clive
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Where are the King Gillette blades made?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

unfortunately i didnt hang onto the outer packaging...the two inner packets of blades make no reference to production locations