New "Black Label" injector blades from Supply?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
CMur12

Re: New "Black Label" injector blades from Supply?

Post by CMur12 »

It sounds like Supply is being made the "enemy" here. My experience with them has been very good and I think their injector razors are an exceptionally good design. The weight of the razor is similar to that of most stainless steel DE razors currently on the market.

Looking over their products, penny-pinching at the expense of product quality is not characteristic of the company. Blades I bought from them earlier had a metal slider and key. Perhaps these are no longer available to them. Besides, with the Supply injector razor, the plastic key probably wouldn't be a problem because one can loosen the bolt and reduce the tension on the key.

Personally, I think we should be glad to see such companies come forward with new products, even if said products aren't what we seek ourselves.

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

BPman wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:12 pm Who is Jim? :-k

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5037
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

If the blades are for a razor you can take apart, using the finger isn't nearly as important.
brothers

Post by brothers »

No enemies, just the facts. As you say, from all they've done, it does not appear that penny-pinching is or has ever been a characteristic of the company, but of course if it becomes a characteristic or appears so, different story. I'm also one who respects and admires the proprietors and their enterprise and am hoping that their new products are a smashing success.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
RJ3000

Post by RJ3000 »

Hmm, disappointing news so far.

Kai is a contender, as Kai's Oyana razor blade factory is located in Seki.
(https://www.kai-group.com/global/en/kai ... e/#modal01)

As stated on the label, Schick Prolines distributed in Japan, along with Schick Injector and Injector II are made in USA, by Personna/Accutech (as the only blade manufacturer in USA). Too bad Supply hadn't struck a deal with them...
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

So far, we have only received user's impressions from one shaver. Since we don't agree on our favorite blades, someone else could still find them superlative (or poor).

By the way, RJ3000, welcome to SMF!

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

RJ3000 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:29 am As stated on the label, Schick Prolines distributed in Japan, along with Schick Injector and Injector II are made in USA, by Personna/Accutech (as the only blade manufacturer in USA).
Does that mean that the Proline blades are the same as the Personna blades with the part-plastic pack, and what seemed like excellent shaves to me were just a placebo effect?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Pauldog wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:18 am
RJ3000 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:29 am As stated on the label, Schick Prolines distributed in Japan, along with Schick Injector and Injector II are made in USA, by Personna/Accutech (as the only blade manufacturer in USA).
Does that mean that the Proline blades are the same as the Personna blades with the part-plastic pack, and what seemed like excellent shaves to me were just a placebo effect?
The standard Supply blades in the white injector pack are ASR/Personna.

Supply states that the blades in the black injector pack are from Japan, and they told me that they aren't repackaged Schick Proline blades.

The nice thing about current Supply injector razors is that they can be disassembled, similar to a three-piece DE razor. The interchangeable bottom plates determine the aggressiveness of the shave. As such, an injector key is not really necessary to install a blade, and Schick Proline blades would work great.

Supply is about to introduce two new models of injector razors that may not allow disassembly. It sounds to me like the plan may be to replace the current razor with the new ones. I hope that is not the case because I prefer a razor that I can break down to clean - and that will accept Proline blades without an injector key. (I have the current model and I have two of the new ones on order via Kickstarter.)

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

CMur12 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:51 am The standard Supply blades in the white injector pack are ASR/Personna.

Supply states that the blades in the black injector pack are from Japan, and they told me that they aren't repackaged Schick Proline blades.
I knew that much, but I was mostly reacting to the news that the Proline blades were actually made by Personna in the USA, even though they come from Japan. I had been assuming they were made in Japan. If they're made by Personna, are they the same as the Personnas at the local drugstore?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Pauldog wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:04 am
CMur12 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:51 am The standard Supply blades in the white injector pack are ASR/Personna.

I knew that much, but I was mostly reacting to the news that the Proline blades were actually made by Personna in the USA, even though they come from Japan. I had been assuming they were made in Japan. If they're made by Personna, are they the same as the Personnas at the local drugstore?
I wasn't sure what you were saying, Paul, but I would certainly hope that's not the case, either.

Though I doubt the Proline blades are made by ASR, as Schick has never made such an arrangement with ASR before, reviews of said Schick blades have been much better than the ASR product. If the Proline blades are truly made by ASR, they would have to be the "Med Preps" of ASR's injector line. 8)

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I took a look at my Schick Proline box and blade pack, and if it says it's made by Personna, it says that in Japanese, because there's almost no text on there in English.

RJ3000, are you translating from the Japanese, or are you looking at a somewhat different package from mine?

I think we need JimR to come back and translate for us.
RJ3000

Post by RJ3000 »

Pauldog wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:18 am
I don't think so - I've tried the Schick Injectors distributed in Japan and found them superior to the Personna injectors in white plastic/metal case.

To clarify - the Schick Prolines, Schick Injectors etc distributed in Japan say "Made in America", there is no reference specifically to Personna. But as far as I'm aware, there is only the one blade manufacturer in USA - Personna/Accutech, correct?. If you look on the back of your Proline box, you can see in the top right corner is printed "(アメリカ製"), or "(made in America)".
RJ3000

Post by RJ3000 »

CMur12 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:16 pm So far, we have only received user's impressions from one shaver. Since we don't agree on our favorite blades, someone else could still find them superlative (or poor).

By the way, RJ3000, welcome to SMF!

- Murray
Quite right, and I've since seen a glowing review elswhere.

And thank you for the welcome, Murray.