Leaf razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Leaf razor

Post by Sam »

Anyone have any experience with the leaf razor? You can use up to three blades, which are double edge blades that you snap in half. And more specifically has anyone used it to shave their head and how does it compare to a regular Merkur DE razor
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: Leaf razor

Post by Sam »

OMG> First shave with the Leaf Razor.

I went bald two weeks ago. Since then I have shaved in the shower and at the sink. I have used a cheap disposable razor, new, that wife had left over from when she switched brands. I have used two different safety razors with Derby blades, and have used a Harry's razor with Harry's cartridge. Wow, this first shave with the Leaf was in the shower just now, with bar soap, and it has shaved me the smoothest. I am growing a beard but may have to try this on my face.

It is essentially a three blade cartridge razor, but it uses double edge blades that you snap in half. And the blades are spaced a bit farther apart than a normal cartridge razor, like the Mach 3, and it pivots, like my Harry's does. So I can try some Feather blades or med prep Personna if I can get a five pack somewhere cheap. But first impressions, this thing has me. And the blades that came with it, certainly no slouch. I could be happy with those. I mean I shaved in the shower, no mirror and not having gotten use to the razor and not knowing what sort of pressure to use and it has shaved me the best. I can not imagine that an electric shaver could get me close. And the razor did not clog all that much and it was easier to clean it out under the stream from the shower head.

They make a Thorn razor that is one blade and could get under your nose a bit better but that is not a concern, I have my safety razor for touchup

Guys, you may want to check this out for face shaving. I got the mercury for $69, on sale, and then Capital One found a $15 discount code, so I got it and a silicone sleeve and it ran about $60 shipped with taxes. And it takes DE blades, that you snap in half, so way cheaper than any cartridge.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I've had hair cutting razor combs that used half blades, and of course the various shavettes, but not seen anyone build a DIY three blade from them. There is still innovation out there. Let us know how facial use goes - it sounds like it could be very aggressive on thinner skin...

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Sorry to delay getting back to you The Leaf does well on the face. Now, as it is a big bigger in height to accomodate three blades, it might be harder to get under the nose. I have a beard so no problems for me, lol. It has a pivoting head and you can use one, two or three half blades. So you get the closeness of whatever blade(s) but the ability to have it pivot and follow the contours. They make a Twig which is one bladed and does not pivot, I think, and so I have no idea how that works, but as I have a DE, no urge to acquire the Leaf. Love it when I shave my head, really does well.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Update: I was out of the US for two weeks and took my Harry's five-bladed razor and a cartridge. Got back and started using the Leaf razor and the one-bladed Twig. That combo shaved me closer with blades that had shaves on them better than the Harry's with a new cartridge did. THe leaf has a pivot head, like many disposables, but has three half-DE blades. The twig allows for easier blade-buffing and detail work around a goatee or the ears. I shave my head and face with both. Also gets an easier and better shave on the body
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

drmoss_ca wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:11 am I've had hair cutting razor combs that used half blades, and of course the various shavettes, but not seen anyone build a DIY three blade from them. There is still innovation out there. Let us know how facial use goes - it sounds like it could be very aggressive on thinner skin...

C.
Don't know that I ever responded directly. I get a better shave with this Leaf on the face - down to a goatee now - than I do any cartridge. A single DE bladed razor might do a better job as the head on the Leaf is a bit larger, but the Leaf pivots. Given the price, not a bad razor to try. In fact, my single-bladed DE razor broke and I did not buy a new one, other than the Twig
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Sam -

I had to do an Internet search to see what the Leaf razor is. It is an interesting concept, though from reading the reviews it appears that it isn't for everyone. Most loved it, but a minority found it too aggressive. That is usually a pretty reliable warning for me, as I require a mild razor.

I did well with twin-blade cartridge razors (Gillette Atra and Schick Tracer, especially the latter), but when Gillette came out with the Mach III, I could never get through an entire shave, as it felt like it would catch and tear the skin. As a result, I never tried anything with with three or more blades again.

Leaf offers another razor with a single blade, which looks like it would work better for me, but I'm pretty happy with razors I already have.

Thanks for the review.

- Murray