TOP FIVE DE BLADES in 2023

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Shave4Fun

TOP FIVE DE BLADES in 2023

Post by Shave4Fun »

What are your top 5 currently produced DEs for 2023?
I am trying to help a newbie get started.
Thanks in advance
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
pausted

Re: TOP FIVE DE BLADES in 2023

Post by pausted »

In no particular order:

Gillette Nacet
Gillette Silver Blue
Treet Platinum
Treet Dura Sharp
Astra Stainless (Blue pack)
Best regards,

Basil
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Astra blades (I prefer the blue ones by a small margin) are hard to beat for their price.

Nacet, Rapira (Platinum Lux) and Permasharp work very well and I very much like Feather blades, although some complain that, while possible the sharpest blades out there, they don’t last that long.

I have have a very good experience with Bic blades, but I have also come across a few complaints about them which makes me wonder whether they might have quality control issues.

You might wait what others may have to say about blades, and if one blade gets mentioned positively more than any other you might have found your winner…

Based on only two replies so far, Nacet and Astra (blue) seem to be in the lead… :D

Hope this helps,

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
pausted

Post by pausted »

Just a comment to add to my above post. My best recommendation for a new shaver would be the Treet Platinum. They are cheap, very effective, and most of all, very comfortable. Just my opinion.
Best regards,

Basil
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I would recommend Dorco ST300 blades for a teenager just starting to shave.

While this blade isn't suited to a heavy or coarse beard, it is the most forgiving, gentle blade for sensitive skin that I have found.

For that matter, it would be well suited to anyone with a light beard and sensitive skin.

- Murray
Gene

Post by Gene »

I like the older blades best (Swede's) - but will limit my thoughts to readily available.

Voskhod
Gillette (in the blue pack)
Personna Medical Prep
German Wilkinson (yes -- I bought 2 100-count boxes of the German Wilks years ago from Wendell, and I still have an unopened box. I freely admit I like all the others better, but they do work for me on the rare occasion that I dig one out).

Only 4 I know - but that's all I have any stock of - except for the vintage stuff (Swede, Wilkinson LB, and a few others). Beyond this is my General, and I like the Feather Pro for that (another story).

I have a vague memory of getting a couple of the Astra Platinum (green) and Stainless (blue) in a sample pack. To my mind the stainless felt a lot better than the green, but back then I was of the opinion only Platinum blades mattered. Now I want to revisit this. I just ordered some samples from Razor Blade Club. I wasn't aware that there were issues with try-a-blade till I tried to get on the website just now.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Missoni

Post by Missoni »

The blades, I use the most...

Lord Asco Orange SS
Lord Shark SS
Lord Silver Star
Feather
Gillette Yellow (7'O Clock SharpEdge)

The Asco is a mellow blade and my favourite in vintage Gillette's...
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Very helpful.
My current go-to is Super-Iridium, which I bought around 2008 or '09. Fine blades but no longer produced.
I have some of the yellow/red wrapper Treet Dura-Sharps from Pakistan and like them pretty well. But I don't see them anywhere now.
I needed current production and you all came through.
Thanks!
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

I don't think I saw it mentioned, but another potential beginner DE blade might be Derby. I've been surprised at how smooth and forgiving a Derby is in my Feather DE razor.
Lynn
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I have some Derby’s in rotation with Green 7oclock Gillettes