The General vs. DE razors

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
pausted

The General vs. DE razors

Post by pausted »

I am a big fan of the Colonial General razor and AC blades. My favorite blade is the Kai Captain Original.

Meanwhile, I own several DE razors and probably a lifetime supply of blades. So just for variety, I dedicated September to shaving with DE gear. I used 5 or 6 different razors ( Jagger DE89, Muhle R89, Gillette Tech, Parker R74, Rockwell 6C ) and a like bunch of different blades. I always do a two pass shave. I don’t seek BBS, only a nice, comfortable DFS that will last one or two days.

Now in October I am back to the General and Kai blade. With the same prep and the same two passes, it is simply a closer, better shave. There really is no comparison. Works great for me. YMMV.
Best regards,

Basil
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: The General vs. DE razors

Post by drmoss_ca »

I agree. If I am to use a safety razor it will be the General, other than rare entertainment-purposes-only shaves.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

This razor has intrigued me for some time, but it's nearly impossible to get hold of one. Seems they are nearly always out of stock on the Colonial site.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

My concern is that I require a mild razor for "sensitive" (in reality, delicate) skin.

I often hear of razors that many of my co-wetshavers consider outstanding, motivating me to buy one. Then I most often discover that the razor in question is way too aggressive for me. (For example, many consider the Edwin Jagger/Muehle razors to be "mild." I consider them to be "moderate" and too aggressive for me. I have found a Mergress on its lowest setting and a Rockwell razor on plate 2 to be both mild and efficient.)

I've been curious about the General, but I'm also wary. Is this a razor for sensitive skin or for a close/aggressive shave?

- Murray
pausted

Post by pausted »

Murray, I find the Jagger and Muhle razors to be mild.When I use my Rockwell it’s plate #4 or #5. So we differ on those razors.
In my opinion, the General is not an overly aggressive razor BUT, it uses AC blades which are extremely sharp. The razor design benefits from these sharp blades. I think that’s why it’s so effective. Just my opinion.
Best regards,

Basil
Gene

Post by Gene »

Well, it's no secret I love my General - I have the black aluminum version. I signed up somehow and got a notification that they were back in stock. So I jumped on one then.

My go-to blade for this razor is a Feather Pro. It's funny - I do NOT like Feather DE blades, but I do like them in the General. I have sampled a Kai and a Schick. I wasn't a fan of them, but I think I need to try them again just to be sure. I can get small sample-size buys at Try-a-blade.

I have a ton of DE blades, from German Wilks to Swedes (the old classic ones) and I can't find any combination of razor/blade that works as well as the General.

YMMV, as always.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

pausted wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:13 pm Murray, I find the Jagger and Muhle razors to be mild.When I use my Rockwell it’s plate #4 or #5. So we differ on those razors.
In my opinion, the General is not an overly aggressive razor BUT, it uses AC blades which are extremely sharp. The razor design benefits from these sharp blades. I think that’s why it’s so effective. Just my opinion.
Thanks for the feedback, Basil.

From what you're saying, it doesn't sound like the General is "mild."

Also, I experienced "skin-thinning" with Feather DE blades, even in mild razors, and there was talk on this forum a number of years ago about skin-thinning from Feather straight razors due to the super-sharp blades. So, such blades in a "safety razor" sound downright dangerous for someone like me!

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Murray, you shouldn't get the impression the General is aggressive. I think it's magic is that it takes a very sharp blade and tames it by allowing just the right amount of exposure and no more. By accident or design, they happened to make a sweet razor, which gives a very respectable shave even if you use just a single WTG pass.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for your perspective, too, Chris.

- Murray
Gene

Post by Gene »

I just loaded my last Feather in my General - and thinking about ordering more blades. I know several of you like the Kai Captain - but I can't differentiate the different Kai models. Can someone post a picture of the label to help me out?
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

General seems to be out of stock and it was $115 fir the plates only. How does it compare to SE razors which use half of a DE blade? Like the Leaf Twig?

I used a three bladed leaf razor on my head, and sometimes I shave with it. As I’m growing a beard, it’s a little bit tough to maneuver on the face. I do like the fact that the leaf three bladed version does pivot.

I have used injector razors before, but I did not get a close shave. However, that was before they used artist club blades like the
Feather professional. Any other single edge razor that is at the price point of a General or cheaper that you would recommend? I had a Rockwell twist open from razor rock and did not enjoy it much as the twist open mechanism always came loose during a shave.