Read this and tell me what you think.

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

Pauldog wrote:They have interesting information on "hacking" your razor, things like which parts will interchange between models, etc.
Sort of like cutting down a Feather blade to fit an injector?
Joe
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

Designer electrics with style and panache! Throw in some pre-shaves with designer fragrances, quadruple the price, and you're in business.
What's really funny is that Joe is right.
Brett
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Well, there was that whole business about "James Bond's Norelco". Of course, it had a list price of $200. (Or $199.99, or $195, or whatever.)

There's a James Bond wet razor, too:
http://www.universalexports.net/coll-greg.shtml (about 6 rows down)

But I don't think anyone here is impressed. :)
javyn

Post by javyn »

"So you need to transition away from "Does my shave feel close?" to "Does my shave look close?"

Yeah, right. See how your girlfriends like that transition lol

I would much rather exfoliate my face with a razor than exfoliate my girl's face with stubble.
growler

Post by growler »

When you're a Wet,
You're a Wet all the way
From your first tub of cream
To your last stubbly day.

When you're a Wet,
You won't use a can!
Not with the three Ts around,
And a badger brush, man!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Growler, Well done! You have a certain gift. Gordon
AFDavis11

Post by AFDavis11 »

Well Gentlemen,

I am the author of the original post. I didn't read all your comments but:

I've been wet shaving for a while

I like straight razors too.

I still use an electric on somedays when I'm in a hurry.

I wouldn't give my post anymore weight than one mans opinion, it wasn't based on any particular facts, and it was my opinion, so I REALLY wouldn't give it the weight of factualization.

Basically, guys who like to shave with an electric find it convenient but not all that great. It is nice once you get used to it which is a difficult process. This post merely provided support for those who would like to transition. It can take weeks to accomplish this...less time if you follow the advice of the post.

Exfoliation is good, but an electric doesn't provide it. This is what produces that beautiful shaved feeling. Most guys who dry shave, should exfoliate as a seperate event during the week. Some do, some don't.

As your face gets used to the electric, which can be pretty tough on skin compared to wet shaving, the decent shave feeling returns.

"The original quote sounds awfully like an admission that you have to learn to lower your expectations if you 'go dry'. Writing of using how do you look instead of how does it feel is exactly how I approach those days now and then when I only shave with the grain. I also expect these folks who benefit from not having the top layer of skin removed with a blade spend a bunch on exfoliant products to use separately. "

Exactly Chris, as always true clarity of understanding, you should go into medicine or something... "-) They usually use these products over their entire face as well, even wet shavers should consider exfoliating their foreheads and nose once in a while. But this post only discussed the transition period, generally an electric will shave you well, just as close as a Mach 3 if not closer, it does cause more irritation for most men though. Most men, including the poster (me) hadn't/haven't found DEs or straights.

I have to add that personally once I got past a long transition period I got terrific shaves dry. I get much better shaves wet with a DE. But at the time I was a dry shaver. And glad to get away from the Mach3, which I consider an absolute joke.

If you have any questions about the post, feel free to ask, but again I wouldn't give it much weight.
AFDavis11

Post by AFDavis11 »

Bernard,

Your quote: "Nathan, Where did you find this little gem? Actually, the description of the transition from blade to electric shaving is pretty accurate ( minus the CR style hyberbole ). "

Thanx, I thought so too...

What does CR style hyperbole mean?
AFDavis11

Post by AFDavis11 »

Jackie,

I should clarify also just so I'm clear...again this is opinion as my original post. And since your question was about exfoliation.

Exfoliating is good, but when you use a 3 or 4 bladed razor 6 to 7 days a week its just too much for most peoples skin. Its too much exfoliation. The scaring that I'm referring to is temporary but the exfoliation is better for your skin, as long as it is gentle. A DE razor or a straight, even moved repeatedly over your skin, is better than a few passes with a 4 bladed razor.

Once an electric razor shavers skin heals completely from a Mach 3 he still feels a need to shave, and absent knowledge of wet shaving, he should exfoliate with a gentle cleanser (all over his face) rather then return to the Mach 3.

And if you guys don't agree that modern wet shaving causes micro tearing of the skin its probably because you've been wet shaving so long you've just forgotten how terrible that can of air/cream and a triple blade really feels on your skin...you've just been blessed with DE/straight and creams for too long...which causes hardly any skin irritation at all. But I accept all that would disagree as long as you go shave with a can of cream and say a Mach3 from a department store prior to posting... :wink:
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

AFDavis11 wrote:Well Gentlemen,

I am the author of the original post.
I just want to make sure I understand. You're the author of the post Nathan quoted from?
Joe
javyn

Post by javyn »

Wow I didn't know people could 'hack' electric razors; swapping parts with others, etc. That in itself is really cool. I used to get a kick out of doing that to my old DVD players, swapping out parts, getting new firmware chips, etc. If I knew anything at all about cars (which I don't), I'm sure I would have been one of those guys who spends more money on modifications for his car than what the car cost in the first place lol
AFDavis11

Post by AFDavis11 »

Correct Joe,

You can even go to the site and see that my "handle" has not changed from 2004. It is still AFDavis11.
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Ah, Davis, so you've defected to this camp, eh? What would the folks over at the Electric Razor Rap think? It's good you've come out of the closet, though. :wink:

"CR style hyperbole" refers to Charles Roberts, owner of Enchante, and the self-proclaimed founder and guru of the Roberts Method for Wet Shaving. His essays on the subject, "Shaving Graces," use a lot of hyperbole while advocating his approach.
Last edited by JackieMartling on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

JackieMartling wrote:"CR style hyperbole" refers to Charles Roberts, owner of Enchante, and the self-proclaimed founder and guru of the Roberts Method for Wet Shaving.
I accept that, but what irks me is when he says he invented wet shaving. HIs attitude is clearlythat only RMWS is wet shaving. For example he has an article about the status of wet shaving that only talks about his method.
Joe
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

Joe Lerch wrote:
JackieMartling wrote:"CR style hyperbole" refers to Charles Roberts, owner of Enchante, and the self-proclaimed founder and guru of the Roberts Method for Wet Shaving.
I accept that, but what irks me is when he says he invented wet shaving. HIs attitude is clearlythat only RMWS is wet shaving. For example he has an article about the status of wet shaving that only talks about his method.
Don't even get me started. :evil:

Post by JackieMartling »

Hugo, I hope this doesn't get you started. :wink:
Last edited by JackieMartling on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AFDavis11

Post by AFDavis11 »

Nathan,

Not sure I defected but I certainly have matured to a greater conciousness. Discussion of wet shaving is not permitted on the other site, I once posted that I used a straight razor to shave clean and straight under my sideburns. I was fearful of being banned for a long time.

Thank you for clarifying CR hyperbole. I assumed it was critical of my writing style and wanted to be sure I understood, for my potential improvement. I'm not familiar with the gentlemen in question. I still feel electric razors are an improvement over modern "wet" shaving. Luckily I've found even better methods, thanx to you gentlemen.

I was pretty surprised to see that post, almost 2 years after writing it. I wanted to clarify that it was just my opinion and hardly worth a debate on this forum as being factual, especially since I knew the writer had just shaved with a straight razor the night before, and thinks wet shaving with a DE is the greatest shave ever conceived.

I'm still passionate about getting Mach 3s and Quadro razor out of bleeding face friends of mine, I just now steer them in a better direction.
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

AFDavis11 wrote:Thank you for clarifying CR hyperbole. I assumed it was critical of my writing style and wanted to be sure I understood, for my potential improvement.
From what we've said here, I guess you realize it's not a compliment, but it certainly doesn't apply to anything else of yours I've read.
Joe
Jim Elliott

Post by Jim Elliott »

:D
Last edited by Jim Elliott on Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Elliott
Shavermeister, Electric Razor Rap
ina_lather

Post by ina_lather »

:?:
Last edited by ina_lather on Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.