Read this and tell me what you think.

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

AF, Well, well, so t'was you! I do feel quite validated, as I surmissed in my above post, that the author of the piece was comparing electrics to multi-blade cartridges and aerosol gel. Good for me! Regarding my remark about the style, well, yes, there was a whiff of the hyperbolic and 'poetic' that reminded my a bit of some of Charles Roberts' writings, but I did not mean to imply that your piece was unclear or rambling. It was not. Glad that you had the opportunity to discover traditional wet shaving and DE razors. As I said in my post, my father used electrics his whole life, and I did myself for a little while. I didn't have any problem with them, but they were neither as close shaving, nor as satisfying. Glad you're currently 'here', and not 'there'.
Regards,
Gordon
javyn

Post by javyn »

Wow Jim....

First off, in his post Nathan didn't mention "just discovering" your forum; the timeframe for his visits weren't brought up at all. Also, he wasn't bashing you either, just showing us that there are others out there who are as passionate about electric shaving as we are about wet shaving. You should be glad that him posting about it here is probably generating more hits to your board. Also, possibly peaking the curiosity of others here to where they might want to try an electric again (or for the first time) for fun and grins to see for themselves. Many on this forum love to experiment. IMO there is no reason to be defensive; I don't think anyone here would intentionally ridicule you or anyone else on your forum. All are gentlemen here, and the most you'll get out of them is respectful disagreement.
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Sure, I've posted there before. I've even posted links to that board here before, months ago, and have spoken of electrics here. At least I'm allowed to do that here. God forbid I should mention a blade there; I might get banned. Oh wait, I have already been banned. Oh well, if Jim wants to ban me, that's fine. I stopped posting and deleted all my old posts there once his inconsistencies became apparent. I e-mailed him this summer to ask him if I could post a sale ad for my electric (note: one post for one shaver), since I don't use it any more, and since, unlike every other shaver board I can think of, his does not have a sell/trade section. (I don't know why Jim thinks such a section would make his site into a mini eBay; I find the sell/trade sections here and on WetShavers to be a true asset to the boards.) He wrote me back and said it was fine if I did so. When I did, he deleted my post without so much as a word to me. When I e-mailed him to ask why, he never replied. It was at that point I "banned" myself, since I felt his tactics of running the board are oppressive and capricious. He seems to have demonstrated that very well here.

Interesting, too, Jim's enrollment date here. Might we have spies in our midst who ratted me out? Ooo, the intrigue.
Last edited by JackieMartling on Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Nathan,
You have nothing to defend.
You have been a contributing member here and at the other wetshaving forums for a long time and your opinions and thoughts are most welcome. Never have I known you to intentionally stir-up crap!

It is deplorable that this "person" , running his own board, would have the audacity to come here to confront you in public, on a non-issue and make posts in other topics just to aggitate.

- Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Thanks, Larry, Javyn and Lou. I appreciate the support. Larry, can you post that group hug pic for me? :wink:
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
~~ Larry ~~
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I find it quite hypocritical of you, Nathan, to come here and trash my board, seeing as you've posted there before...
Jim,

Please point out where your board was trashed. It did not happen.
By the way, you are now BANNED!
Based on the rules of YOUR board...
"-Please don't hijack threads
-Flaming other posters and trying to pick fights with them is not allowed"

You, as the ruler with the iron fist would enforce the following...

"If any user violates any of these terms, the offending post(s) will be deleted and you will receive a warning via email or private message. If a violation occurs again, your post(s) will be deleted and your usernames will be banned."

Jim, I'm not going to sort through the forums of your board as they hold no interest for me. I prefer my DE's and straight razors. Which is what this forum is all about. However, we are open minded and welcome other opinions. You are certainly welcome to share you opinions about shaving. There have been no disparaging (oh, that means bad) remarks or comments about your board. Possible some light hearted discussion. First and foremost this is a gentleman's forum. As such you are expected to conduct yourself as one. You are welcome to stay and abide by some of our own simple rules, but if you choose not to, please, take your hard hat and go home.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

rtaylor61 wrote:
I find it quite hypocritical of you, Nathan, to come here and trash my board, seeing as you've posted there before...
Jim,

Please point out where your board was trashed. It did not happen.
By the way, you are now BANNED!
Based on the rules of YOUR board...
"-Please don't hijack threads
-Flaming other posters and trying to pick fights with them is not allowed"

You, as the ruler with the iron fist would enforce the following...

"If any user violates any of these terms, the offending post(s) will be deleted and you will receive a warning via email or private message. If a violation occurs again, your post(s) will be deleted and your usernames will be banned."

Jim, I'm not going to sort through the forums of your board as they hold no interest for me. I prefer my DE's and straight razors. Which is what this forum is all about. However, we are open minded and welcome other opinions. You are certainly welcome to share you opinions about shaving. There have been no disparaging (oh, that means bad) remarks or comments about your board. Possible some light hearted discussion. First and foremost this is a gentleman's forum. As such you are expected to conduct yourself as one. You are welcome to stay and abide by some of our own simple rules, but if you choose not to, please, take your hard hat and go home.

Randy
Well said Randy!

Thank you, from a happy SMF forum member.

Nathan, you are with good company, keep up your postings...they are what makes this a great community!
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
AFDavis11

Post by AFDavis11 »

Interesting, too, Jim's enrollment date here. Might we have spies in our midst who ratted me out? Ooo, the intrigue.

Nathan,

I can assure you it wasn't me...

Jim,

Nathan's only criticism of your site was one of its apparent advertisements/sponsers which as you know is randomly generated...and now he knows as well. Understandable comment from him I think considering. I find it interesting that the banner pop up I get entering this site is always for a Mach 3 Power razor...

All,

It would be nice, important really, to view shaving ones face as a masculine ritual, which should be studied, understood, and accepted for what it is. Open discussions on the subject should be prevelant, especially on internet forums. Have you ever tried having a conversation with a guy in public about shaving? Wierd sometimes the way they state their method as the best on the planet...always. And then you discover yours is vastly different than his...

Disagreement will come and go. Imagine when the clampullers of the world open their website and discuss TRUE traditional shaving.

But at no time should this become a football team mentality of us vs them. Electrics vs. Wets, straights vs DEs etc. Its almost like we want to rally hords of men on hilltops, each group holding a different razor and charge each other (shaving as we run no doubt)....

We should all be a group of men who can assist, knowledgeably, each other about the art of removing hair from ones face. Thats all, nothing more.
Jim Elliott

Post by Jim Elliott »

JackieMartling wrote:Sure, I've posted there before. I've even posted links to that board here before, months ago, and have spoken of electrics here. At least I'm allowed to do that here. God forbid I should mention a blade there; I might get banned. Oh wait, I have already been banned. Oh well, if Jim wants to ban me, that's fine. I stopped posting and deleted all my old posts there once his inconsistencies became apparent. I e-mailed him this summer to ask him if I could post a sale ad for my electric (note: one post for one shaver), since I don't use it any more, and since, unlike every other shaver board I can think of, his does not have a sell/trade section. (I don't know why Jim thinks such a section would make his site into a mini eBay; I find the sell/trade sections here and on WetShavers to be a true asset to the boards.) He wrote me back and said it was fine if I did so. When I did, he deleted my post without so much as a word to me. When I e-mailed him to ask why, he never replied. It was at that point I "banned" myself, since I felt his tactics of running the board are oppressive and capricious. He seems to have demonstrated that very well here.

First of all, you posted two shaver-selling ads, not one. Furthermore, if you don't like how I run things at Electric Razor Rap, tough. It is the number one board today for electric razors and electric shaving. That says it all right there.
Last edited by Jim Elliott on Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Elliott
Shavermeister, Electric Razor Rap
Jim Elliott

Post by Jim Elliott »

:D
Last edited by Jim Elliott on Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Elliott
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Jim, you have a pm.
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Hi;

It seems Mr. Elliot's mentality doesn't reflect most individuals who use electric shavers that I have ever met. I don't have a problem with anyone using an electric razor if it works for him, or her, and they are happy with it. As with Gordon, I used electrics for a number of years and found them to be uncomfortable and inefficient. I am convinced that the Norelco and its ilk are primarily designed to inflict the maximum amount of damage to the face as possible while removing a minimal amount of beard in the longest amount of time possible. That aside, anyone who shaves with anything is better than those scruffy looking celebrities and magazine personalities who also have bad haircuts.

I suppose that Mr. Elliot claiming he has the number one electric shaving board (is there another?) is much like CAR claiming to be the original shavemaster; the claim doesn't travel well in some circles.

Oh, well, Mr. Elliot, gather up your toys and go home, can't imagine how we will function without you.

BobS
javyn

Post by javyn »

The best thing we can do with trolls is just ignore them until they get bored and go away or a moderator here gets fed up. I'm no longer going to dignify this guy with a response.

John
AFDavis11

Post by AFDavis11 »

I think Jim in his excited anger misunderstood my post...I'm sure he has no control over the advertisements and banners on his site. But oh well.....

"But at no time should this become a football team mentality of us vs them. Electrics vs. Wets, straights vs DEs etc. Its almost like we want to rally hords of men on hilltops, each group holding a different razor and charge each other (shaving as we run no doubt)...."

I think I'll make an exception and exclude the electric guys :D

Nathan,

I didn't defect...I got deported.... :P
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I didn't defect...I got deported....
No, PROMOTED!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Jim Elliott

Post by Jim Elliott »

:D
Last edited by Jim Elliott on Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Elliott
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

Wow, that hard-hat-wearing electric shave guy really got bent out of shape. I don't know about anyone else but I found this thread refreshingly comical.

BTW, bragging about being the number one electric shaving site is kinda like bragging about being the tallest midget in the circus.
Brett
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

Last post was before I saw the Norelco Nazi's photo contribution. Words can no longer describe this guy.
Brett
Jim Elliott

Post by Jim Elliott »

Brett G wrote:BTW, bragging about being the number one electric shaving site is kinda like bragging about being the tallest midget in the circus.

Uh, no. There are several boards on electic shaving, which I will list below:

Tell Mr. Steel Beard
http://iavbbs.com/gflinn/tell.htm

www.shavers.co.uk Forum
http://www.shavers.co.uk/forum/

www.arazorhouse.com Message Board
http://users2.cgiforme.com/Razors/cfmboard.html

There are a couple others I've missed. Like I said, Electric Razor Rap is the #1 electric shaving board.
Jim Elliott