A Daring Experiment Feather/Futur

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Ouchmychin

A Daring Experiment Feather/Futur

Post by Ouchmychin »

A couple days ago while shaving with my usual Vaseline+brushless creme I got through three passes and wanted to get extra close. I opened the Futur up to a setting of 4.5 (almost as wide as it will gap) with a Feather blade inside. I polished all surfaces but under my nose where the massive future is too hard to manuver. No nicks or scrapes and no irritation or blood whatsoever. Never could have done that with lather and water. Wonder if anyone else here has ever tried.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i have opened my future up in the past.. many times...

not with a feather and not with your vasolene shaving cream thingy

merkur blade and i dont remember which soap i was using back then

my results were good, but i found i get the same results at 3 to 3 1/2 as i do using the higher setting and with less chance of doing damage

i think the shave really doesnt change from setting to setting as one would think.. its more about finding the setting the suits you face and beard and shaving style

i could be wrong and i could be right
marc
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Pete, Well all I can say is, with water and good lather I don't have to use such an aggressive razor & blade combo or 'polish' my face in order to get a very close shave. When I finish my three normal passes it's as close as it's going to get regardless of anything else I might do ( and believe me, I've tried quite a few further passes, techniques, whatever ). And I never get cuts, weepers, or other nasty stuff like that. Just me, of course.
Regards,
Gordon
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Gordon and marsos52, I'm sure not advising anyone to try what I did. I just got curious as to how protective the grease was. I don't think it was any closer shave than lower settings or my Fat Boy. I do seem to get more stubble off with the Fatboy set to 7 after doing the best I can at 5. I can see it when I rinse The razor.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Ouchmychin wrote:Gordon and marsos52, I'm sure not advising anyone to try what I did. I just got curious as to how protective the grease was. I don't think it was any closer shave than lower settings or my Fat Boy. I do seem to get more stubble off with the Fatboy set to 7 after doing the best I can at 5. I can see it when I rinse The razor.
Pete,

How in the devil do you rinse Vaseline off of a DE razor? As we have all experienced, when dismantling a DE on occassion there is soap remaining on the razor blade and occassionally on the razor. Can't imagine a razor gummed up with Vaseiline. You must have a huge can of Scrubbing Bubbles on hand. :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

When I had a vision I went all open with a feather as a matter of course. What helped me is blade buffing with QED shave stick and lather from my brush so I sold the vision and got a slant bar
Last edited by Sam on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I use hot water and if the stuff is full of whiskers, it comes out in long bits of dark stuff. I use 150 degree hot water if that is important. I have taken the blade out and it is clean on both sides, as is the razor. As far as rinsing my face I use a rather hot washcloth and wipe well. Then rinse the cloth and repeat. Sometimes I repeat with a cold cloth to close the pores. Leaves the face feeling like I have used a good aftershave balm. The sink is another matter. When the wife complains about the greasy film, I reach for the Bar Keepers Friend. A little elbow grease with the same washcloth and everything sparkles again.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Pete,
not discounting your vaseline process (I honestly have seen more obscure things tried with success) but I remember not long after I got rid of my Futur, there were whole groups of us on the forums who were "modifying" our Gillette adjustables so they would open up quite a bit beyond the former highest setting. It worked quite well for what it's worth, but most have moved on. I tend to side with Sam in leaning toward a slant now for the "wide open DE" experience.
You may even want to try a straight....just make sure to clean it extremely well before taking it to the strop.
Or have you already tried this?
I'm curious...but not THAT curious just yet.
John P.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

When I waa about 18 my dad gave me one of his str8s and tought me how to use it and strop it. I gave it up when my little girl was about 3 because of the fear she would get into it and hurt herself. I think I got a horrible Remington electric at the time. It was Consumer Reports favorite at the time. When the heads wore out and it cost more than I felt it was worth I even used it with one missing for a while. Eventually it nicked me one time too many and I got frustrated and made a dent in the sheetrock with it. Got a superspeed or whatever Gillette was the cheapest at the time. Eventually I switched to disposables until the horspower race with Sensors, Mach 3's and Fusions got me angry and I found this site and got into DE's again. What an adventure.
Ouchmychin (Pete)