Kai Original Captain blade

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Re: Kai Original Captain blade

Post by brothers »

This morning was day 1 of a new Kai Original. Looking forward to some close and smooth results all through the month of February.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

So far this year, February and April were Kai months; January, March, May etc., are Schick Proline30 blade months (you get the picture). Both brands are well-suited to the V2 General, and to the quirks of my personal shaving technique. Today's #30 smooth and near-perfect shave with the Kai Captain was as good as #1.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Could the Schick and the Kai be the same blades? If I remember right, the Kai DE blades have no markings, so maybe they contract out all their blades.
pausted

Post by pausted »

Pauldog wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:45 am Could the Schick and the Kai be the same blades? If I remember right, the Kai DE blades have no markings, so maybe they contract out all their blades.
I don’t know the answer to your question but I can say from experience the two blades perform differently for me. I use the Kai Captain Original frequently and have decided that they are the best AC blades in my General razor. I bought a few of the Schick blades from Try-a- Blade and found that they dull much faster than the Kai blades. Just my experience. YMMV.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

One of the slotted holes in the Schick blade is shaped differently. Who's to say that both brands may or may not be coming out of the same factory, i.e. Gillette.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

pausted wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:12 pm
Pauldog wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:45 am Could the Schick and the Kai be the same blades? If I remember right, the Kai DE blades have no markings, so maybe they contract out all their blades.
I don’t know the answer to your question but I can say from experience the two blades perform differently for me. I use the Kai Captain Original frequently and have decided that they are the best AC blades in my General razor. I bought a few of the Schick blades from Try-a- Blade and found that they dull much faster than the Kai blades. Just my experience. YMMV.
Basil, I'm still using them both, but in the past 2 or 3 months I've begun to find that the Kai is a bit sharper. The Schick gives me good shaves for the full 30 days, but I'm noticing that the Schick is more forgiving if I use too much pressure, or make a false move while shaving. The first 10 days or so of the Kai is a bit more likely to see a nick or two if I'm less than cautious before the blade becomes more forgiving.
Gary

pausted

Post by pausted »

Gary, as I’ve said earlier, the Schicks just don’t work for me. It’s interesting because they are well liked by you and many others.I alternate between Kai Originals and Feather Pro blades. I find that both blades perform the same for about the first ten shaves and then the Feather begins to rapidly dull. The Kai keeps on cutting much longer.That’s why the Kai is my favorite blade.
Best regards,

Basil