Titanium coated blades?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Titanium coated blades?

Post by Pauldog »

I happened to look at the Qshave adjustable razor (Merkur Futur clone) web page at Ali Express today, and it mentioned that it came with a pack of five US-made titanium coated blades.

Does anyone know who would be making these? My educated guess is Personna. And the first page I found when looking up "Personna" and "titanium" mentioned that their Personna 74 blades had a titanium coating on the tungsten steel edges, so this makes it even more likely.

I hadn't noticed titanium being listed as a coating before, but it turns out that it's fairly common.
FireDragon76

Re: Titanium coated blades?

Post by FireDragon76 »

Pauldog wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:34 pm I happened to look at the Qshave adjustable razor (Merkur Futur clone) web page at Ali Express today, and it mentioned that it came with a pack of five US-made titanium coated blades.

Does anyone know who would be making these? My educated guess is Personna. And the first page I found when looking up "Personna" and "titanium" mentioned that their Personna 74 blades had a titanium coating on the tungsten steel edges, so this makes it even more likely.

I hadn't noticed titanium being listed as a coating before, but it turns out that it's fairly common.
They are probably Personna blades, which are just average blades.

Coating helps the blade last longer.
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

FireDragon76 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:19 amCoating helps the blade last longer.
I don't think it's working.
I tried one that came with my QShave Futur clone.
I was the best first shave on a blade I've ever had. Sharp and smooth. \:D/
:cry: Then it rapidly went downhill. More like jumped off a cliff without a wingsuit.
I had to toss it after 3 or 4 shaves, when I normally can get 20-80 acceptable shaves on a blade. One hundred if I really push it.

To be fair, I really should try another one.
I find the lack of any markings whatsoever on the blade just a wee bit disturbing though.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

It's not that unusual to find completely unmarked Personna blades. It should be a clue to which kind they are.

But being blank like that doesn't guarantee that they're Personna.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I'm pretty sure Kai DE blades are unmarked.