razorpit with SE razors?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
FireDragon76

razorpit with SE razors?

Post by FireDragon76 »

I have a Razorpit I have used with my Sensor Excel and it's probably saved me a bunch of money over the years. I am thinking of switching to using a SE razor because I am noticing more overall face irritation (which is why I have been mostly using a Braun electric for years, but I'm a bit tired of going through batteries and foils), and my skin is becoming more sensitive as I get older. I have a few old Schick injectors, and I was wondering if they can be used with the Razorpit. I have used disposable single edge blades in the past without a problem, though it does seem to require a lighter touch than modern cartridges.

Anybody else have any experience "stropping" a SE razor in this manner? I know Mantic95 has said that the Razorpit does not work with DE razors, I think due to the head angle issue.
brothers

Re: razorpit with SE razors?

Post by brothers »

I may have known what these are in an earlier scenario, so I watched the video on YouTube and now I know. I don't use one, and maybe it works for the cartridge razors. A couple of years ago I began to use the AC single edge Schicks and Kais in my General, and I throw them away after 30 days and replace them with a new one.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I have a Razorpit which I use on my Mach3 and Sensor cartridges. I do, however, find that stropping my cartridges on the back of my forearm to be just as effective.
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I didn't know what it was so I watched a video. I liked the line, "It's patented so it works.". I got quite a laugh over that bit of absurdity.

FD, I use a SE safety razor for facial shaving and have for years. I got the blades in bulk (you can buy in bulk too) for about $.25 per and get an average of over 20 shaves from one SS blade. I've gotten over 30 shaves from one blade on more than one occasion. I give more blades away than I use myself and even so a 100 pack lasts a very long time. My point is that blades are extremely inexpensive and if recycled aren't a huge strain on the environment or the wallet. I'll pass on yet another gimmick (but it's patented so it works!) in my shave cabinet. It removes soap and whiskers and such from the edge... so does using the razor the next time since a whisker is about as tough as a copper wire of the same diameter.

There are folks who can rehone a carbon steel SE blade, but I never heard of anyone doing that successfully to a SS SE blade. Honing a blade doesn't happen with a piece of silicone. (That's what the unit was described as being composed of in "my" video.)
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square