General razor - newly redesigned model

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

General razor - newly redesigned model

Post by brothers »

The original design General from Colonial has provided hundreds of exemplary shaves since I discovered it. Now the gents at Colonial have released a redesigned version of the General. I've shaved with it twice now, and will continue to do so until I've been able to understand how the changes are working with regard to the original vs the newly released model. I'm wondering if SMF happens to have any current members who are also interested in checking out this new razor and posting about it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Re: General razor - newly redesigned model

Post by brothers »

I've been using my v2 General for about two weeks now. It's an improvement over the highly competent original. I wanted to show my loyalty to the brand. I doubt any other razor I've ever tried has worked better for me. I couldn't be more satisfied with this razor. I use Schick Proline and Kai Captain Original blades exclusively for a full month before I change the blade.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

So even though the razor costs a lot more than a Gillette, it's much more economical in the long run because the blades last a lot longer and cost a lot less.

In addition, the razor itself has good resale value.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Here's a shaving forum review of the V2 General. The description of the most important improvements is exactly what I've experienced, and stated much better than I could have. I have no idea how the designer did it, but it seems cuts and nicks from very sharp blades are a thing of the past. Day in and day out, the V2 seems to be one of the smoothest and safest razors I've ever used. Very little has been said about the handle, but it's a great match for the new V2 General head. Not slippery, nice weight and length. Very well done.
TripleG wrote:The V2 General has been my daily/every other day driver for the last few weeks and overall, it's hard to find a fault with it. The results are great, I like the tapered handle, the smaller header is just right, it glides very smoothly. It just kind of boringly works extremely well - no fuss.

I've tried it with Prolines (they're great) and now with Feather Super Pros and it seems that it really pair well with the Super Pros. It takes the "heat" off the blade and no worries about shaving too close or accidental nicks, great results. I am a big fan of the aluminum General but for me, there was still a little heat on the Super Pros.

I've enjoyed many vintage/modern SEs and the new V2 General is now right up there with other top razors. Between the V2, Vector and Paradigm - it seems like they are all "perfected" AC SEs - it just comes down to preference, budget and availability. It might be interesting to go back to older/other designs but they'll be compared against the V2 General.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm glad I took the risk and spent the money to discover what the V2 General has to offer. The whiskers in the traditional difficult areas of my face are finally being removed with results previously only to be found in the easy areas. The fear of cuts seems to be at a minimum. The accidental or intentional application of pressure in difficult areas (or any areas) is no longer a forbidden experience. I've been using the V2 General every day since it arrived. No post shave irritation. No blood. For as long as I have been shaving, I have always hoped I would find a razor that provides this much enjoyment from my razor, but I had decided long ago that it was just a pipe dream, never to be possible. Best decision regarding shaving I've ever made. I think I want to say I shave my entire face every day. I know some folks prefer mustaches and beards, but in my case I'm all over it every day.
Gary

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

What about width? I'm used to the standard injector razor, and wonder for myself if the greater width might make it harder to maneuver.

I'm inclined first just to try a bunch of different Schick injectors, using the Proline blades
brothers

Post by brothers »

Honestly, the difference in width is something that appears to be negligible in practice. When I first started out with the Cobra, I had that thought, but it took no time at all for my subconscious to adapt immediately to the differences, and I have never experienced any problems in this regard. If I am also correct, I don't recall reading anyone else's experiences with problems in this area. I think there may be a difference in the width of a double edged blade and an injector. If so, I venture to say our brain adjusts immediately to any differences with no negative results. I highly recommend the razors that use the single edge AC blades.
Gary

pausted

Post by pausted »

I completely agree with Gary. The width of the razor is easily gotten used to after a couple of uses. It yields a nice benefit in that fewer strokes are required to complete the shave. I use the General for about 90 percent of my shaves and it is far and away my favorite razor. My blades of choice are the Kai Captain Original and the Feather Professional. I highly recommend it.
Best regards,

Basil