Screw bottom of a DE razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Screw bottom of a DE razor

Post by Sam »

I had gotten some sort of razor that you release the blade by unscrewing the bottom of the handle, the wings at top open and you replace and screw the wings back down. For some reason, that screw mechanism does not come off the knob. What is happening now is that while shaving, it comes loose and the wings open up every so slightly and that really makes the thing so darn aggressive to the point I can cut myself. Any solutions to fix it or time to toss and get a new DE?

Sometimes, I wish I had never sold my bulbous Edwin Jagger DE razor. But I tired of looking at it, lol
John Rose

Re: Screw bottom of a DE razor

Post by John Rose »

Is it different from a typical twist-to-open DE razor?
Are you giving the knob that last quarter-turn or so that locks it down?
Ideally (as with my Gillette Slim), the end of the last quarter-turn is a wee bit easier to twist than the beginning, so that it feels like it has "clicked" into a locked position, but on some models it stays the same, or even gets a bit harder to turn.
"Last quarter-turn" isn't exactly accurate either, since it might range from 1/2 to 1/8th of a turn, depending on the make and model, or on the setting (if an adjustable).
Sam wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:50 amSometimes, I wish I had never sold my bulbous Edwin Jagger DE razor. But I tired of looking at it, lol
Yeah, my EJ DE87 is probably my favourite three-piece razor at the moment.
Out of 16 (?) razors that I have, I probably use it a third of the time.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

its not a Gillette or old one. One of those $20 razors, and if I search my posts can probably find it. No clicking, just that round little know on the bottom and somehow it just comes the tad bit loose and opens up the blade exposure. Been my daily shaver for over two years I bet. I have a couple of the Shicks or Gillettes that have settings like 1-9 that I can use until I find a new one I like. The adjustables do not shave me nearly as close, even on the most aggressive setting, as the EJ I had. Looks like I need to try to find a cheap EJ
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Sam, you could either buy another $20.00 razor, like the one you have, to last you for another couple of years, or you could get something more robust. I seriously doubt that a new $20.00 razor is repairable.

If you liked an EJ in the past, I would recommend you get another one.

I'm not sold on the old Gillette Adjustables, either. A Merkur Progress (or Mergress) is a very effective adjustable razor, without the design compromises of the Gillettes. My current favorite is a Rockwell razor with three different plates, each plate having two settings (depending upon which side is up). Some complain that the Rockwell is thick enough to interfere with shaving the upper lip.

- Murray
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

CMur12 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:10 pm Sam, you could either buy another $20.00 razor, like the one you have, to last you for another couple of years, or you could get something more robust. I seriously doubt that a new $20.00 razor is repairable.

If you liked an EJ in the past, I would recommend you get another one.

I'm not sold on the old Gillette Adjustables, either. A Merkur Progress (or Mergress) is a very effective adjustable razor, without the design compromises of the Gillettes. My current favorite is a Rockwell razor with three different plates, each plate having two settings (depending upon which side is up). Some complain that the Rockwell is thick enough to interfere with shaving the upper lip.

- Murray
Just bid on a long handle EJ on Ebay. The Merkus, the Vision I had but was super bulky and now that I wear a beard or goatee, probably not a good idea. Never really liked the Progress. And the adjustables I have, never shaved me right.

I think what I have was a Sterling Soaps razor . This is the twist to open at the bottom so you can see what problem I am having
https://www.stirlingsoap.com/collection ... azor-br179

Sterling has a 3 piece razor here and I dont know what it means as far as getting an aggressive head
https://www.stirlingsoap.com/collection ... zor-de3p6s

But I can probably get the EJ ones off ebay just as cheap

So Murray, I went and read up on the Rockwell on their website. Some say that the different plates, not really much of a change as far as aggressiveness, which reads to me like it would be like an adjustable. How does it compare head-to-head with the EJ head, which did me fine.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Bought this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/174081278884

They had lined ones, octagon, rubber, chrome and knurl handles. This has a long handle. It might be good or it might be slippery

[Edited by moderator to link to public info for the razor sold]
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good luck with the new razor Sam.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Sam -

EBay doesn't allow outsiders to view your purchase, so I couldn't see what you got. I have had EJ razors with smooth handles and I never had a problem with losing my grip. I usually keep my hands dry through the shave, though I don't think it would be a problem unless your hands were soapy.

I use my Rockwell razor on plate 2. This is similar to my Mergress on its lowest setting. Both of these razors, at this setting, are both mild and efficient. (Definitely not as mild as a Gillette Tech, however.) They get "under" the whiskers and lop them off much more effectively than a Gillette Tech (and possibly more effectively than most other vintage Gillettes). The EJ is a little more aggressive than these two razors on these settings. I would rate the EJ as "moderate."

I favor a three-piece razor, for ease of clean-up, so I am especially happy with the Rockwell on plate 2, which is perfect for me.

The Sterling razor you had is certainly inexpensive, at $8.95. If you really liked it, you could buy several of them and see how they hold up. The three-piece Sterling razor you linked may be more similar to the EJ, but we can't tell that without trying one out. The EJ is more of a known quantity, so I think you made a wise purchase.

Good luck, Sam.

- Murray
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Murray it was a long handle EJ, a lilac color. I may get the three piece Sterling also. Gonna also see what I can do with the knob on the messed-up razor
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Sam, it looks like a TTO razor to me, and my guess is that something internal failed. Those Chinese razors are generally not nearly as durable as, say, an old Super Speed. I once got a Chinese TTO at a dollar store, probably a Weishi. It shaved fine, but the head bent in when I accidentally pressed it somewhat firmly against the countertop.

The EJ razor you got has an excellent price, but the feedback record of the seller is somewhat sketchy, so I hope you get an authentic, brand new Jagger.

I assume you've already tried Super Speeds, Rockets, and the Schick "Krona" TTO's.