new mergress

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
gil3591

new mergress

Post by gil3591 »

hi guys. just wanted to give a shout out to mer for my latest purchase from bullgoose. when i was in my wild and crazy shaving stage a few years ago, i bet i had mer convert at least 4 progress razors for me. if you don't believe me you can look in the archives for pics! ;)
like a fool i sold them always looking for perfection. after multiple progress and futur razors, i decided that of all the razors i used i liked the progress the best. ( this includes many, many gillettes and others). my current progress is 2 years old and is just ok, so i decided to purchase a new mergress. what an improvement over the progress. it actually sings like a futur when you use it
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
brothers

Re: new mergress

Post by brothers »

Gil, thanks for the update. Even though I haven't used it in a few years, I've had a Progress that might benefit from undergoing the metamorphosis to a Mergress. Do you happen to know if Mer still invites owners to send them to him for a changeover, or if he no longer does that. I really wouldn't want to have to buy a new one. I'd rather just keep the one I've got. :D

Edit: I've sent Eric a PM. Interested in finding out if he's still doing this.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Gil and Gary -

Gil, congratulations on the new Mergress.

I have a Mergress and it is one of my two favorite razors. At its lowest setting, it is mild enough for me, while still amazingly efficient.

My other favorite is the Rockwell, adjustable via interchangeable plates. It, too, is both mild and efficient (on plate 2). I use the Rockwell more, for its three-piece design and ease of knock-down and cleaning.

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I'm still very fond of one-piece models like the early Gillette Rocket. I just thought of something that might not be possible - a one-piece slant razor. That would eliminate the need for finessing the blade alignment and wondering which alignment was correct. There's probably a reason there isn't a one-piece slant, but maybe it is possible, and has just been too obscure for someone to have developed one yet.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

if they made a gold plated progress i'd take it to bed every night :)
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
brothers

Post by brothers »

Evidently Mer is incommunicado regarding individual overhauls of used Progresses for individuals, even though he's obviously under contract with Phil. I'm not keen on buying a brand new Mergress when I have a perfectly good Progress that would benefit from a retrofit. He might have taken the time to respond, even negatively, to my PM, but didn't.
Last edited by brothers on Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I think gary if you missed that time Mer offered us to send our Progresses to him to get a new knob, that you do not have to regret so much. It was an expensive procedure. Of course now persons who now have them feel special. You have to appreciate your money spent :)

Still the handle would be the same. Not that I complain about Progress being too slippery. If for some reason my Progress gets broken, I'd get another one. Or might try that Parker variant.
Jarmo
brothers

Post by brothers »

:D I'm sure you're right! In the beginning I was reluctant to have the procedure, but now it seems that I must be envious of the guys who took the plunge when I was being stubborn.
Gary

Inajam

Post by Inajam »

Hi. New to the forum. I just purchased the Parker Variant short handle and I really liked the the first shave on setting 1. The blade did seem to be more aggressive on one side than the other. I opened it up and as I tightened it down I applied pressure to one side. As of now it seem to make it better. Any thoughts?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Welcome to SMF!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

Inajam wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:51 am Hi. New to the forum. I just purchased the Parker Variant short handle and I really liked the the first shave on setting 1. The blade did seem to be more aggressive on one side than the other. I opened it up and as I tightened it down I applied pressure to one side. As of now it seem to make it better. Any thoughts?
Welcome!
Olle
Inajam

Post by Inajam »

Thank you for the welcome..
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Inajam wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:51 am Hi. New to the forum. I just purchased the Parker Variant short handle and I really liked the the first shave on setting 1. The blade did seem to be more aggressive on one side than the other. I opened it up and as I tightened it down I applied pressure to one side. As of now it seem to make it better. Any thoughts?
Welcome to SMF, Inajam!

I'm not familiar with your particular razor, so I can't offer any specific advice. Generally speaking, in many razors, the blade doesn't align perfectly without help, tending to slide a little more to one side or the other, so you might need to subtly realign the blade just before the final tightening down of the razor head. However, if the blade gap is greater on one side of the razor than the other, it may be a defect of manufacture in the razor.

- Murray
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

hmmm! it appears my thread has been hijacked :lol:
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It's allowed!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gil, how's the Mergress holding up?
Gary