How good were the last American-made Schick injector blades?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

How good were the last American-made Schick injector blades?

Post by Pauldog »

My understanding is that the current Chinese-made Schick injector blades are generally better than their predecessors made in Germany. But I don't know how the American-made predecessors to the German blades compare. Someone on eBay is selling a large quantity, and I'm wondering if they're worth getting.
haiti222

Re: How good were the last American-made Schick injector blades?

Post by haiti222 »

I can provide some information. In 2008-2010 there was an ebay seller from Miford CT selling many assorted items that appeared to come from Schick''s employee store or some such. I purchased a large quantity of the last made in USA injector blades with 10 blades per case. They were sold wrapped in bubble wrap, and not in packages. I think I bought some twin blade injectors as well. There was only English on the blade case.

In shaving with them, I found them to be typical Schick quality, better than the German made ones. Compared to the Chinese ones at the time, they had slightly better longevity, were not quite as sharp, but had better finish quality, so less nicks and cuts.

I wonder if the current Chinese ones a decade later, are better. I have noticed that other Schick products, such as the S2 have better longevity and quality than they did a decade ago. Schick seems to be putting better coatings on all of their products these day. Have not bought any Chinese injectors for almost a decade, so I cannot say. I have bought made in China with US steel Schick products both in US and other countries, and am pleased with the quality.
Gene

Re: How good were the last American-made Schick injector blades?

Post by Gene »

I bought an injector from an SMF member several years ago. Since then I have bought Schick Platinum blades, the Chinese version, and a 20-blade cartridge that were specially treated somehow (but I don't remember the particulars ... cryo maybe?).

I did like the Platinum version the best - but my personal opinion is that they all performed below my favorite DE blades. As always, YMMV.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore