q shave razors

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
gil3591

q shave razors

Post by gil3591 »

guys, what's the skinny on these qshave chinese razors? one is a futur clone and the other looks interesting. are they any good?
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Brutus

Re: q shave razors

Post by Brutus »

QShave Chinese clone of the Merkur Futur that as been around for a long time.

Lower weight, different balance, sloppier tolerances.
How do you define “any good”? As good as the original? Clearly not.

O.K. to shave with if you never knew the original? Well, maybe...
But I doubt that if the original had been like the clone it would ever have become so popular.

Nuff said....

B
Last edited by Brutus on Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

thanx. i decided to buy a gold plated futur on ebay at a good price. after owning 4 futurs i decided to take the plunge again. i have a love/hate relationship with the futur. they look so cool but it's always weeper city with them for me :( . my razor of choice is a progress. i have a gold plated merkur 34 in gold and my first futur was gold. i firmly believe the coatings on the gold plated merkurs give a slicker feel and better shave than any other plating.
i think i will try just doing wtg shaving with the new futur
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

I have a QShave Futur clone, never tried a real Futur.
It's really noisy and it requires a bit more caution to install or remove blades compared to any other razor, but I can't see how the Futur could be any different.
Overall though, I rather like it.
The main misfeature is that there are no detente clicks between the settings, and it it too easy to change the setting.
Mine happened to arrive in an "overclocked" state right out of the box, so it was far too aggressive.
"Overclocked" QShave razor.
"Overclocked" QShave razor.
QShave Overclocked 4in1.jpg (54.27 KiB) Viewed 7858 times
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Continued...
It was an easy fix though.
QShave overclock fix
QShave overclock fix
QShave_overclock_fix_6922.JPG (42.1 KiB) Viewed 7857 times
Remove the blade and put the cap back on.
Squeeze the head and rotate the handle clockwise (as seen from the right) until it stops.
Release the head.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I bought my "Q" quite a while ago. I don't remember if I tried it, so I just used this method, and discovered that I can remove the handle. Now I understand how "overclocking" happens - the handle is unscrewed an extra turn or more, so that its entire range is too aggressive.

John, thank you for the engineering lesson. I wonder if this can happen with the Futur, or if there's a stop built in.
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Pauldog wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:31 am I wonder if this can happen with the Futur, or if there's a stop built in.
It was an article or post about the Merkur Futur that I had vaguely remembered reading, about how it could be overclocked and how to fix it.

There's also a thing about the orientation of the centre bar with respect to the base plate. If you loosen the handle enough (or remove it, as you did) it is then possible (whether accidentally or on purpose) to rotate the centre bar part 180 degrees, and this reportedly causes a problem with uneven blade exposure or some such.
One end of the centre bar has a pair of small dots stamped into one end, when viewed from the top. If you hold up the assembled handle and head so that you can see the side with the setting marker, then the double dots should be on the right-hand.end of the head.

Thanks for mentioning that the handle can be removed completely. I had forgotten this, and it would be handy for giving it a good cleaning once in a while.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

that's good info on the dots. i took a futur apart once and am certain i jacked it up pretty good, as a result ,,,,,,very, very aggressive :roll:
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer