got a new gold futur

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
gil3591

got a new gold futur

Post by gil3591 »

i weakened and bought another futur, against my better judgement. i just can't resist these razors cause they look so cool. always had issues with their aggressiveness and giving me weepers and leaving me feel raw. anyway, i bought a gold futur hoping it would be more forgiving. i was right. it is smoother than other futurs i've had but still leaves me a little raw and is no way close to what my murgress can do!
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
JarmoP

Re: got a new gold futur

Post by JarmoP »

I have sometimes thought of getting a chinese made Futur clone, but I don't think I have that kind of shaving technique or able to use its adjustability.
Usually with Merkur Progress I shave first pass with about 2.5 setting and then with 1.5 the rest one(s).

They say of what I have read that Futur with mildest setting is more agressive than Progress in say at 3. I guess it requires a different shaving technique and also wonder why it is not built milder. Looses some if it could be dialed lower?
Jarmo
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I require a mild razor and I waited for years, until I got convincing reassurance that the Progress was indeed mild at lowest setting, before I finally bought my Mergress. At the lowest setting, it is great - both mild and efficient. Turning it up even minimally, however, renders it much too aggressive for me.

I've always read/heard that the Futur was aggressive throughout the range of its settings, so I have steered clear of it.

- Murray
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

gil3591 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:47 pm... anyway, i bought a gold futur hoping it would be more forgiving. i was right. it is smoother than other futurs i've had but still leaves me a little raw ...
Say what?
I find it difficult to believe that the plating would make a discernible difference.

I could see maybe a difference between the shiny and matte finishes.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

One thing I don't really like about these "close" canal shavers like Progress or Futur and many others like them.

It is with my HD and in general Merkur fixed heads and also like Muehle/jagger must be the same. I can just shave as long as I want in my opinion even if I have like a 3 days growth and never really need to rinse under the sink water until the lather starts dropping out. Not sure, but that is my opinion.

Whereas with Progress, I do swivel the head under water or if I was a tap runner, then that. To see that the canals are free. It is of course just an adjustment that can be done and nothing that drastic.

To Murray, I got my Progress over 10 years ago and then it was made really mild. Like at dialed down perhaps even difficulty to get not much shaving done and easy miss the whiskers. That is what in my opinion an adjustable razor should be. If yours is more aggressive even at 1, then it can be a good shaver as you say, but misses the adjustability feature if you can't dial it up.
Jarmo
1afc

Post by 1afc »

JarmoP wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:07 pm I have sometimes thought of getting a chinese made Futur clone, but I don't think I have that kind of shaving technique or able to use its adjustability.
Usually with Merkur Progress I shave first pass with about 2.5 setting and then with 1.5 the rest one(s).

They say of what I have read that Futur with mildest setting is more agressive than Progress in say at 3. I guess it requires a different shaving technique and also wonder why it is not built milder. Looses some if it could be dialed lower?
Not sure if it helps but I bought the Chinese Futur (Q?) and it shaves less aggressively than my Progress FWIW.
Alan

I went to the avatar shop but they'd sold out!!