finally, mastered the futur

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
gil3591

finally, mastered the futur

Post by gil3591 »

i've always liked the looks and design of the merkur futur but have never been able to get a nice shave. one without irritation or weepers. i think i have finally figured it out. i've had 4 shaves with my new gold futur without irritation or blood! i start with a wtg pass on 3. then cross grain on 2 and finally, against grain on 1. the main thing for me though is the lather. i make a very high cushion lather. so pasty i use just enough water to just get ride of stroke marks from the brush. :roll: my progress is still effortless but the futur can mow whiskers like no other
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
CMur12

Re: finally, mastered the futur

Post by CMur12 »

Gil, you're a braver man than I am.

Then again, I use my Mergress on the lowest setting, or my Rockwell on plate 2.

- Murray
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

my mergress i start on 4.5 and end at 2 :D
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gil, I would take a layer of skin off (possibly two!) if I set my Mergress on 4.5. It already feels unbearably aggressive at 1.0 or 1.5.

- Murray
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

:lol:
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Murray, your Progress with Mer replaced knob seems over aggressive.
Progress settings don't matter what number is there, mine at lowest is about 2, so it is then 1.

What matters is that the lifting thing should touch the base when at lowest. There could be some gunk under that thing or even that Merkur have left some metal after cast that is not finished. German "quality control" then :(

Mine anyways at 1 is overly mild and 1.5 is the sweet spot for sharp blades and touchup/ATG.
Jarmo
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Jarmo, the Mergress is supposed to be calibrated when it is given the custom metal adjustment knob. At lowest setting (below 1), the razor head is at its lowest position, which is just right for me (both mild and efficient). From there, I rotate it about a quarter of a turn to get to 1. As soon as the head starts to rise, it quickly becomes very aggressive (for me).

- Murray
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

I have the QShave Futur clone and, yes, it is a different sort of animal. Now that I'm used to it, I quite like it, but I would not recommend it as a starter razor in spite of the price.
Nice and loud too.
It is the only razor I have cut my finger on, and that was a slip when changing the setting. Now I just lay the head down on the edge of the sink and twist the handle.
I typically use it in the 2-4 range.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i always have a face towel in my hand when adjusting the razor. it is a razor not to be taken :evil: lightly
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

That is also one feature why I have never been so much interested in Futur.

DE blades are sharp, but they do no harm and are light and easy to to handle. What with the Futur and I guess the cap popping out when adjusting. It does not happen with any other razor. Then you get something on thumb or other fingers that is quite unexpected, can cut even to the bone?

I know Futur is also a a sort of macho thing.

Also the handle is too long. I want always my little finger behind the knob. Most handles support that. Progress does not have a hole like Merkur HD or Gillette superspeeds, 50s and 60s at least, but that roman god head gives the same amount of little finger support in its sturdy art deco knob.
Jarmo
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The original Gillette Rocket doesn't have a hole at the bottom, either, but I still recommend it. There must be several different grips that work on most razors.

What blades are you all using with the Futur? I sold mine years ago, then bought the QShave last year out of curiosity, but haven't tried it yet. I have a lot of different blades on hand to try.
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

In my safety razor days, about 12 years ago, the Futur was initially my go-to razor.

With a tool, which a razor ultimately is, I did not consider any of the versions with a glossy finish and bought the matte version that provides a more secure grip.

I started with a low setting and gradually worked my way up to the highest setting, but found in the end that a setting of 3-4 worked best for my needs.
For years I have sported a mustache and found that the Futur with its overhanging cap is somewhat unwieldy around the corners of the mustache, but it gives overall a very good shave.
More recently, I became curious and bought a Chinese clone, but it clearly does not measure up to the original, is lighter, has therefore a different balance, and the manufacturing tolerances - like cap fit for exmaple - are sloppier.
With the original I never had any issue with the cap or any other mechanical function and the razor is still in an excellent condition.

Would I say “the Futur can mow whiskers like no other”?
No I wouldn’t and I found other razors that work equally well or better in that respect for me, the most obvious one being the Mühle R41 and its variants.
If I shave with a safety razor rather than with one of my straights nowadays I reach however for a Birch Bark ROCCA, as I like the utilitarian stainless steel design and feel, and the simple, unadorned handle material that reminds me of cork.
With my customary Feather blades, the difference to the Mühle open comb is minor and certainly up to the results that I was used to from my Futur.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
brothers

Post by brothers »

When I had my Futur I experienced negative feedback from the handle. My shaving hand actually felt a slight bit of cramp/pain as if the design and/or the finish of the handle didn't accommodate my fingers very well. Strange, and that's the only one that I've ever known to do that.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i take it back. i will never master the Futur. i need to respect the fact that it is the boss
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer