Broken Razor Rockwell 6c

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
adhoc

Broken Razor Rockwell 6c

Post by adhoc »

I bought (I got it as a Christmas gift) mine Rockwell Razor 6c for 1 and a half year ago and it's already broken, the hinges have stopped working and when I try to put it together the head is loose.... I haven't mistreated it at all and I think a razor in that price point should have a longer life span that just barely 2 years... i have emailed Rockwell and I'm awaiting there response. All my vintage Gillette Razor, some old as 80 years old, still works fine.
Olle
CMur12

Re: Broken Razor Rockwell 6c

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Olle -

I'm not sure what you mean by "hinges." My 6C is a three-piece razor with no hinges.

This razor is of similar construction (chrome-plated zamac/pot metal) to the Edwin Jaggers and Muehles. These seem to hold up well for the most part, but every once in awhile someone reports the threaded screw part under the dome to have broken off. Is that what happened to your Rockwell?

At any rate, I'm hoping my 6C holds up better than yours!

- Murray
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

"Hinges" was a bad explanation. The razor simply doesn't screw on properly and the head becomes loose.
Olle
brothers

Post by brothers »

Your threads are stripped.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

brothers wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:35 pm Your threads are stripped.
Yes, thanks. That's probably the problem -- are there anyone on here that have a solution to this problem? As I said before, I would not say that I have mishandled the razor, in anyway, at all, I have some nearly 100 year old razors that still works fine, so a razor at this price point (Rockwell) should be able to last more than just barely 2 years -- at least that's my opinion. Should I contact Rockwell themselves and ask them if they are willing to assist? Anyway, thanks for all the help!
Last edited by adhoc on Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olle
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes sir. By all means contact the company and ask them if they can assist you with the problem. Good luck!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Which part has the stripped threads?
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

If the threads on the head look all right, you could try using a different handle. But also contact Rockwell about it. They'll probably send you a new razor. The easiest way would be if they asked you to send photos rather than return yours. This is how a couple of different companies recently handled guarantees on kitchen items I had trouble with.
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Pauldog wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:36 am But also contact Rockwell about it. They'll probably send you a new razor. The easiest way would be if they asked you to send photos rather than return yours.
Yes to sending the photos first.
That worked for me when I had a brand-new schlaeger rapier blade take a permanent bend (30º) prematurely, under normal use.
They deemed it to be a manufacturing defect.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex