Placement of nylon washers for cosmetic reasons

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Placement of nylon washers for cosmetic reasons

Post by brothers »

That's been my assumption. Regarding the practicality of putting a nylon washer between the handle and the base plate of a safety razor. I've not read of any complaints made about scratching or wearing having any effect on the performance of someone's razor. For the sake of discussion would it be fair to think it's more a matter of vanity or anticipated cosmetic issue as opposed to preventing a specific malfunction?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Re: Placement of nylon washers for cosmetic reasons

Post by John Rose »

:-k
No.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gary, I take my razor apart and clean it up after every shave, so it would cause more wear than someone doing the same once a week. I also have only done this with certain expensive stainless steel razors, as I don't think stainless steel is as hard as chrome.

I'd say I did it for some combination of practical and cosmetic considerations.

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Isn't a chrome razor just chrome plated (on top of soft brass or pot metal)?
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

drmoss_ca wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:24 am Isn't a chrome razor just chrome plated (on top of soft brass or pot metal)?
Yes, but the chrome plating doesn't seem to scratch as easily. (I can't state this empirically.)

I might also note, in answer to Gary's original question, that protecting an expensive razor against scratching helps to maintain its value in the event of future resale. I haven't resold any of my razors, but John, whose ad is the reason behind this thread, has.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sounds like a commendable practice, especially when there is a high end shaving instrument involved. A prospective buyer/collector will hopefully be reassured that the seller habitually takes great care when he uses his razors. I think I mis-used the term "vanity" in my posts, for which I apologize. Actually, now that I've been made aware of this practice I will get myself a few washers, and will install one on my own razor.

Edit: The question just now occurred to me, as I think about it. Does it work? I have assumed that nylon under pressure will not scuff or rub the surface or finish of the metal razor base. Nylon is a very strong substance. Just a bit of a puzzle.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Nylon is also used for simple bearings.
I would worry that a nylon washer would allow a head to come unscrewed more easily, so it could become a safety issue.
A thin rubber O-ring might be better. Or, a washer fabricated from a bicycle inner tube.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I don't know what material the one washer I have in use is made of. It is a soft material, so it shouldn't scratch. I bought it after I noticed that the polished stainless finish on my new iKon razor was getting scratched between the handle and the razor bed.

Washers come in different thicknesses, so it shouldn't be hard to find one that doesn't take up too much space on the spindle.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

The material used should have a bit of friction between the surfaces, as is the case without a washer, so the head won't tend to loosen up during use.
Gary

John Rose

Post by John Rose »

I'm thinking glove leather, real or vinyl.
primotenore

Post by primotenore »

John Rose wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:21 pm Nylon is also used for simple bearings.
I would worry that a nylon washer would allow a head to come unscrewed more easily, so it could become a safety issue.
A thin rubber O-ring might be better. Or, a washer fabricated from a bicycle inner tube.
Actually, I find the nylon washer allows for a tighter tighten-down. Never had an issue with the handle coming loose. I like the idea of the washer and use one on all of my non-TTO razors.
~~~~~
Primo

Shaving since 1971, enjoying my shaves since 2014
Ah, che bel vivere, che bel piacere per un barbiere di qualità... =D>
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I'm still lost about what a washer is?
My guess is that it is some ring like thing we put in screw joints?

I never even clean my razor after a shave. It has been in the sink while I have lathered up, just an opinion.
Jarmo
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jarmo, you're right about some screws need washers. I'd describe it as a very small and thin coin with a hole in the center.
Gary

John Rose

Post by John Rose »

There is the Japanese notion of wabi-sabi.
wikipedia wrote:In traditional Japanese aesthetics, wabi-sabi (侘寂) is a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection.[2] The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete".[3] It is a concept derived from the Buddhist teaching of the three marks of existence (三法印, sanbōin), specifically impermanence (無常, mujō), suffering (苦, ku) and emptiness or absence of self-nature (空, kū).
Characteristics of the wabi-sabi aesthetic include asymmetry, roughness, simplicity, economy, austerity, modesty, intimacy, and appreciation of the ingenuous integrity of natural objects and processes.
[...snip...]
In one sense wabi-sabi is a training whereby the student of wabi-sabi learns to find the most basic, natural objects interesting, fascinating and beautiful. Fading autumn leaves would be an example. Wabi-sabi can change our perception of the world to the extent that a chip or crack in a vase makes it more interesting and gives the object greater meditative value. Similarly materials that age such as bare wood, paper and fabric become more interesting as they exhibit changes that can be observed over time.
In the West, this might be illustrated by allowing statues and copper roofing to acquire the green patina instead of polishing it regularly or applying some kind of anti-oxidation clear-coat.

The marks of natural wear and tear from normal use is perfectly fine. I don't mind a bit of brassing on a nickel-plated razor as long as it's mechanically okay.

If you want to preserve a razor's original shiny un-touched mint-in-box appearance, then don't shave with it. Mount it behind glass in a shadow-box and hang it up on the wall.
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

JarmoP wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:57 am I'm still lost about what a washer is?
My guess is that it is some ring like thing we put in screw joints?
Yup.
They are made in many different sizes, thicknesses and materials.
I never even clean my razor after a shave. It has been in the sink while I have lathered up, just an opinion.
For me the cleanup is half the fun. I take the blade out, rinse and dry it, then I scrub the razor with an old toothbrush, rinse it, and towel-dry it. Each day I use a different razor but keep the same blade for about 20 shaves. I mostly like the ritual, and I'm in no hurry.

If it's an adjustable or TTO model, enough accumulated soap residue inside could jam the mechanism.
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Thank you John, as a retired engineer, I give some thoughts about this washer subject when I now know what we are talking about.

They are routinely put on screw joints.
What I understand is that using them allows to input a desired momentum to the joint = tensile stress to the screw. And also, but I'm not so sure, to keep the joints from loosing the connection.

With the washer uneven surfaces can be joint more safely with its deformation.

-------

Now we come to nylon washers. Isn't nylon like a lubricant? Could be i guess used if the handle and the head could produce a corrosing partner in metals, but there is always the screw going in.
So I see no advantage using a nylon plate, when it just could open the razor while shaving.
I cant't use any plate in my main razors, Merkurs 34C and Progress. So this thread is only for me because i pondered what a washer is lol.

------------------------

I was surprised about when I saw PaulHFilms in his youtube telling how he is cleaning everything about his shaving.
Myself, I have to admit, when a blade goes into a razor. There it stays. I usually shave about 10 times with one blade. Now the progress has hold its blade quite long time, but I still the blade is better than resting in some paper etc.

The soap residue can perhaps longer the base metal Zamack from not coming up from say Merkur, EJ, Muehle etc heads. So no old or even new toothbrush to clean my razor. ;)

I got enough cleaning with my obligatory army time, cleaning my rifle. The darn thing never could shoot were I aimed. Or was just a shotgun shooter lol. Well mostly these days a pacifist.
Jarmo