bag of blades /merkur

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

bag of blades /merkur

Post by fallingwickets »

when i came down to south carolina, even though i hadnt touched it in years, i brought a bag of blades along for the ride ( hoarding is such a terrible disease :D :D :D ). I had forgotten I even had the bag, but yesterday when looking for something else there it was sitting at the bottom of a basket. I opened it up to see what was inside....some light horse and other gillettes, some israeli's a bunch of other brands and one pack of merkurs. light bulb....i must try one of these again, and I did.

The blade was just as harsh as it was when i stopped using them several years ago ( my theory is they changed the manufacture process), but, but BUT.....closest shave Ive had in years. My skin felt fantastic. The harshness is what it is, however the end result may prove to make it worthwhile dealing with. Will definitely be using the merkur again and who knows it might bring me back full circle to where i started

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: bag of blades /merkur

Post by Sam »

I would revist Feather blades but not Merkur
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Truth to tell, I throw whatever DE blade comes to hand first into the razor comb I have used to cut my hair for the last two years in which I have had to avoid other people and their infections. It surprises me that whatever the blade is, it is good for one haircut only. And that has been with Feathers, Merkurs and several others.

This problem will soon be solved.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I visited a cousin in Columbia and made a day trip to Charleston. BBQ in the Carolinas is different than what we have in Memphis. I’ll be in Asheville, North Carolina the week of Thanksgiving. Love the mountain area
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I haven't tried a Merkur blade in a very long time. Nevertheless, I like more blades than I don't. I will occasionally find a blade that displeases me for feeling harsh, but for the most part any decent blade seems to suit me fine (except Feathers). As such, I have a stash comprised of several thousand "favorites."

- Murray
Gene

Post by Gene »

I have only ever used one Merkur blade. It came with a new razor. I didn't like the razor (inexpensive 3-piece with open comb, long handle) - and can't remember what the blade might have felt like. I have blades stashed in several places - Swedes and other Gillette's, Voskod's, more I can visualize but the names escapes me. I should inventory and store them better, but then I should do that with my soaps and creams, too.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore