Gem Single Edge razors

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
CMur12

Re: Gem Single Edge razors

Post by CMur12 »

My thanks again to Clive and Gary for making my trial of the razor possible. Now I know!

Clive, I didn't care much for the handle, either. My gripe wasn't the surface texture, as I didn't find it at all slippery. I like a cylindrical handle/all one thickness, without the tapering.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I like a cylindrical handle/all one thickness, without the tapering
the tapering is the 'big' issue and it goes downhill from there :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Gary, if you shave your upper lip, lower lip. chin etc there is no way in the world the whole length of the blade is touching your skin and in my case for most of the shave the whole blade isnt touching my face and so i stand by my statement that the blade length is a waste and wonder why it is so long to begin with.

I think i started off with a kai which im very happy with so far...thanks again for the blades :D

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, I agree. Now I understand what you are referring to. And - upon reflection - It's taken me a while to figure out that you were absolutely correct when you referred to a blade having two sides. Single edge vs. Double edge! When reading the word - sides/edges - I didn't accurately comprehend what you said. Sometimes I'm a bit obtuse. :D When I say 100% of the time, I mean I use both the left and right sides of the edge intermittently just as frequently as the center of the edge. Thus the 100%. I hope you have an over all positive experience with your General!

PS: Considering these two blade brands, based on availability and price, I've been buying my blades from Connaught. If you ever lose interest in the General and decide to sell it, I'll buy it for a backup.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks Gary....I think I might take you up on your offer :D

clive