Gem Single Edge razors

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
pausted

Gem Single Edge razors

Post by pausted »

As you all know, I am a big fan of the AC blades in the General razor. For some reason, not sure why, i decided to dig out my old Gem Clog Pruf and have been using it for the past few shaves. I have really been enjoying the shaves. The razor requires me to go slowly and pay attention to what I’m doing. The Gem SE blades are SHARP! So far, no nicks and the shaves are very close and comfortable. I have two or three different versions of the Gem razors in my collection. I’m going to use them for awhile. Tomorrow the 1912 is on deck and then we’ll move on to the Micromatic open comb. Those guys had it figured out 100 years ago! In fact, I just bought a 1924 Ever Ready Shovelhead on the bay for 18 bucks. The pictures look like it is in mint condition. We’ll see. Over the years I have accumulated about 100 SE blades. Might as well use ‘em.
Best regards,

Basil
ShadowsDad

Re: Gem Single Edge razors

Post by ShadowsDad »

Yup.

It's been years since I had a DE shave and I don't miss the flexible blade at all. I keep a few DE razors in the cabinet but it's been a long time since one has been used.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

is there a modern version of these types of razors?

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
pausted

Post by pausted »

Clive, if you include Artist Club (AC) and injector single edge blades there are a number of modern razors available. Colonial, RazoRock and Above the Tie come to mind for AC blades. Supply Co. makes a modern injector razor. There are probably others. As far as Gem style SE blades are concerned, I remember reading that some makers have built modern razors for them. I have not paid enough attention to be able to give you names. Sorry. Perhaps some other members can provide more information.
Best regards,

Basil
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks...if anyone is looking for me i'll be down the razor rabbit hole :D :D
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

went looking for a se razor....very nice looking stuff out and about on the www, but of course i didnt buy one. :shock: I retraced back to the razorock site and bought myself a game changer 84 and some acqua soap. 17 thumbs up to the enablers :D :D :D

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

The last time I used a DE or Gem style SE was December 23, 2016. On Christmas Eve 2016 I used the General for the first time and haven't gone back since.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Gary did you buy just the head or the handle as well.....and which blades do you use? thanks...rumour on the www is that some are a lot more aggressive than others

clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

p.s. when i dropped by the colonial site on sat the general head was listed as sold out...today its back in stock
pausted

Post by pausted »

I agree that the General is a great razor. I use mine for the vast majority of my shaves and have for a long time now. That being said, I still like to use a DE or Gem SE from time to time. I appreciate variety in my shaving hobby and it helps to keep me from treating my shaves as a daily chore rather than an enjoyable daily event. That's just me, I guess.

Clive, the only AC blade that is substantially more aggressive is the Feather Pro Super. It is slightly wider in the dimension from the back of the blade to the cutting edge. So it provides more blade exposure. In my experience, the other blades have about the same level of aggression. Also, the General is really a pretty mild razor and benefits from a sharp blade. My two favorites are the Kai Captain Original and the Feather Pro. (Not The Pro Super)
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:53 am Gary did you buy just the head or the handle as well.....and which blades do you use? thanks...rumour on the www is that some are a lot more aggressive than others

clive
Clive, I bought the whole set, handle included. I use two brands of blades: Kai Captain Original and Schick Proline P-30. There are subtleties with each particular brand. Maybe that's the attraction in my case. I shave daily and use each blade for one month and then I load the other brand for the following month. As always, we all have our own preferences. With Kai you get 20 blades, and Schick gives you 30, (thus the P-30 brand). I buy mine from Paul at Connaught. PS: I believe Colonial has changed the design of the General's handle since I first got mine, which I use exclusively and I like it a lot. If you decide to get one of the AC razors, PM me and I'll send you samples of both blades.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hello to all of you -

The glowing reports about this razor intrigue me, but I worry about the blades. Some time back, there were reports about skin-thinning from Feather blades in Feather straight razors.

In the past, some have recommended Feather DE blades for mild DE razors. I tried this, but I have experienced skin-thinning in whatever DE razor that I loaded with a Feather blade. I also found Kai DE blades to be harsh. (Note that I have very thin/delicate/sensitive skin.)

This being the case, is there any chance that I would get along with the razor in question loaded with said blades?

Thanks.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks for the feedback, gents. Gary, one blade is good for 30 shaves? :shock: :shock:

Murray if youre interested: I'll buy the razor ( blades are on you) and have it delivered to you. If you enjoy using it, keep (and paypal, zelle, etc) it, and if not forward to me. :)

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, yes I shave every day and I use each blade for at least 30 days unless it's February. :D

By the way, Murray, if you end up with this razor and need some blades then, I will certainly send you samples of the two that I have which are the Kai original Captain and the Schick.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Clive and Gary -

Thank you for the generous offers, both of which I will accept!

I will send you both my mailing address via PM.

Thanks again.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thats impressive Gary. I change my de blade after 4 shaves. savings on blades alone can cover the cost of the razor hahaha

clive
Gene

Post by Gene »

I have the black all aluminum Generation 1 General, and used the Feather 20-pack. I used a Feather blade through all of December, just to see if I could. It made it, but the shaves were for sure falling off.

I just installed my last blade from that pack - Gary sent me a couple of the Schick's to try - and I think that will be my next purchase.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Clive and Gary, I tried the Colonial razor tonight with a Schick Proline blade.

I noted with the first couple of strokes, "This is an aggressive razor!" I gingerly shaved through my first pass, noting some "burn' to my skin. I then started the second pass and decided to stop and not push it any further. I finished with my Rockwell razor on plate 2.

My skin is pretty delicate (what we euphemistically call "sensitive") and I require a decidedly mild razor. I use my Mergress on its lowest setting or my Rockwell on plate 2 (of six).

I thank you both for making this experiment possible: Clive, for sending me the razor, and Gary, for sending me sample blades.

I'll be sending the razor and the remaining blades to Clive.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I used the general for the first time yesterday....very happy with the results.

a) loading the blade isnt a walk in the park. Im sure over time it gets easier, but as of right now it is a concern

b) i had to change the handle it came with. smooth handles arent my cup of tea and the ikon i own is just too perfect to give up using

c) Gary said he uses a blade for a month at a time. Seems odd to me that it lasts so long; i) only one side gets used ii) mostly the middle of the blade is in contact with skin, it has to wear out from frequent use? iii) what is the purpose of the extra length vs. a de blade, the ends dont seem to get any use at all?

I am looking forward to using the razor again. I have to say that my skin felt really good (read smooth) afterwards.

Thanks a million for the enabling, which just for the record I am banning myself from doing again....no matter how great you gents say a cream, brush or razor is I am NOT buying it :D :D :D :D

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, scouts honor! :D This morning was shave number 30 on the Kai Captain Original. As we all know, we all do our stuff differently. You say you only use one side of your blade. My habit is to remove the blade following every shave and have no clue which side is which. It's the luck of the draw. I don't know about your experience in shaving with just the center of the blade's edge. I guarantee that 100% of the time I'm shaving, 100% of the blade's edge is in contact with the surface. Maybe I misunderstood your meaning!

After I have dismantled and rinsed the blade and the head I leave it until re-assembling it just before tomorrow morning's use. Just as you have done, when I first started using the General I had no foreknowledge of how long a blade would last. At that time I was using Kai Captain Mild blades and Feather Pro blades. It was only after I had evolved to using the Captain Original and the Schick that I experimented with a 30 day per blade. It works.

My technique has evolved of course. The first week or 10 days are most likely to see blood. This is because my technique changes as the days pass by. At the end of the month I find myself using more pressure and speeding up the movement of the razor on my face. If I make a mistake of using pressure and speed with a brand new blade (of either brand) I'm just asking for trouble. I haven't checked to be sure, but I've probably been using the General (of both versions) for around 1000 shaves, counting the Mild and the Feather. I've had a lot of practice with this razor and these blades.

I also get very smooth and close results every single day of the month by keeping the angle as effective as possible. This means I'm rocking the razor forward to make a very small increase in blade edge skin contact while the top cap still feels the smooth head sliding along in contact with the skin and still cutting whiskers. I do this just to the point I continue to feel and hear(?) the blade cutting the whiskers. Especially on the toughest whiskers which in my case are the upper lip, the chin, and the lower lip. All of which are being shaved ATG (against the grain - remember I only lather up for one pass) when I shave every day.
Gary