kai blade inquiry

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

kai blade inquiry

Post by fallingwickets »

Gary was kind enough to include a kai blade for the general razor.....im not huge fan of the single edge razor experience, but on reflection the blade was rather decent. My question for those in the know: is the kai de of the same quality as the kai se?

thank you

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Re: kai blade inquiry

Post by brothers »

Clive, keeping in mind the differences inherent to a thin flexible DE vs a rigid non-flexible SE, if memory serves I think I had positive experiences with the Kai DE blades.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Clive and Gary.

I experienced the Kai DE blade as rough. As I recall, it was unusually sharp, similar to a Feather, but I didn't find it smooth.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Murray thanks for the input. Many years ago I bought kai blades and your post rattled the memory....i didnt have positive experience, but i thought the se blade was good enough to revisit the de version. now having second thoughts about it. :lol:

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

3 or 4 years ago (just before I started using the General and the SE blades) I sincerely considered the Kai DE one of my best DE blades alongside the Personna hospital use, Swedes, Spoilers, Super Iridiums, and Brazilian Platinum Plus.

Just another one of those crazy YMMV moments. 😁

I will venture to say that the razor in which the blade is used and the user's technique have as much to do with the quality of the shave as does the blade.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
smoothshaver

Post by smoothshaver »

Clive,
My experience was the same as Murray's. At the time I did (and still do) use Feather DE blades. I tried the Kai blades a few years ago and found them to be almost as sharp as the Feathers, but much rougher on my face. As always, your experience may be different.
-Ed
-Ed
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks gents. If i find a kai blade in my pseudo DrP closet I'll give it a whirl and report back

clive