personna med prep

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

personna med prep

Post by fallingwickets »

ordered a box via amzn last week and when received noticed that the packaging has changed...looks a lot less 'industrial' these days.

any of you gents know:

1) when change took place

2) if the blade was changed too?

thanks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Re: personna med prep

Post by brothers »

Clive, I've bought mine in the past from Robbins. I just checked their website, and the packaging shown is the same as always. That doesn't mean it hasn't changed, but for what it's worth here's the link:
https://www.robbinsinstruments.com/coll ... -9-74-0002
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Clive, the packaging changes often on the Lab Blues and occaisonally on the Med Preps. That said, they always look pretty "Industrial." Do you have a pic of your Amazon purchase? There are some Israeli Personnas (production shifting to Germany on these now) on Amazon and some other Personnas, too. I'm wondering if you got some of those rather than the Med Preps.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Tim, I saw that Israeli Personna production was sadly to come to an end, but I didn't know they were shifting to German production. It will be interesting to see how this pans out, as other brands shifted to German production have been a disappointment. One would expect German manufacturing to be superior, but in the case of razor blades it has not been so.

I bought up a lot of revered and personal favorite razor blades years back, resulting in a stash of approx 4000 blades. These will easily outlast me and I have no reason to buy any more. Even so, I'm curious about current developments, as I note that vendors are carrying way fewer brands of blades than in the past.

- Murray
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Murray, I have seen the German-made Personnas for sale already in a few locations; the packaging is slightly different to the Israelis but with a similar color scheme.

I think I probably have about 20-25 years' worth of blades on hand, but I don't doubt that I'll order more. I have read about DE blade droughts in the 1980s, and given how cheap and easy they are to buy and store, there's no reason not to have an ample supply.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Tim, I amassed the blades I have in response to favored product being dropped from the market over the last 10 - 15 years. I only shave my neck and I only shave three times a week, so I go through blades more slowly than most. I'm 69 years old now, so 20 - 25 years from now, I'll be lucky to be alive and still shaving with a blade!

- Murray
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Murray, I hear you on the products that have disappeared over the last decade. Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue blades, Swedes, etc., gone. 4000 is a very impressive stash indeed. I get 5-7 shaves from the blades I prefer, and I have perhaps 1500 of those 5-6 brands. I went for some years without buying blades, convinced I'd purchased "enough." Recently I've decided that I might be inclined to pick up some more. 25 years from now I'll be 68 and hopefully have some good shaving years left. Why not buy some cheap insurance?
Regards,
Tim

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Gary, yours are what i bought in the past. the ones i got, look like this:

https://ibb.co/fXkFbDn

clive
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Clive, that's what my most recent ones look like, too. The 74-0002 marking is a key indicator.

They should also be stamped "For Hospital Use" on the blade itself. Or maybe etched. Can't remember which they're doing now.
Regards,
Tim

brothers

Post by brothers »

Yep, it's got to be the same blade because the product # 74-0002 is shown in both links.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks gents