gillette platinum (swede) / new version ?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

gillette platinum (swede) / new version ?

Post by fallingwickets »

For reasons unknown(???) i have ditched fidelity and have been looking for a blade that reminds me of what shaving was like a year or more ago. I happened to find a few packs of gillette platinums in my pseudo DrP cabinet and decided to use one. l o v e r l y, well first shave anyway :D Of course these are no longer, and of course i had boxes of them which i gave away/sold, but i understand from cruising around the www that there is a blade being sold by bullgoose that is the same/very similar?

If any of you gents have tried the 'new' version, please comment here about your experience. thanks,

clive

p.s. I also ordered a pack of treets dura sharp (should be here thursday)
de gustibus non est disputandum
CMur12

Re: gillette platinum (swede) / new version ?

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Clive -

I don't know about the Gillettes in question, but I am a big fan of Treet Dura Sharps (yellow box with red lettering, right?).

Some shavers, like myself, really like these Treets (carbon steel with PTFE/Teflon coating), and some don't. I find them sharp and smooth, though they might not last quite as long as most stainless blades. Carbon steel takes a keener edge without the need of platinum or chrome coatings to smooth them out. (At least, that's my understanding of the matter.)

Since we're talking about a carbon steel blade, don't leave it out wet. The blade needs to be stored dry.
(Since I clean and dry my razor and blade after each use, this hasn't been an issue for me.)

I look forward to your impressions of the Dura Sharps, Clive.

- Murray
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Clive, I concur with Murray's comments on the Dura Sharps. For me, they don't last as long as my other favored blades, lasting 3-4 shaves rather than 5-7 like my Med Preps. However, they are so smooth and sharp that I don't mind.

I have some of the Gillette Platinums that are purportedly "new Swedes" (some of the blade nerds claim Gillette never ceased production of these, just shifted marketing and packaging). I don't know if they're the same blade, but I do have some of the old Swedes on hand, too, and I used one recently to compare. They two blades are similar in feel, which is to say very smooth. I find the new Platinums pretty dang sharp, too, perhaps on par with the classic Swedes, but I'd have to use them for a longer stretch to compare properly.

I have given up blade fidelity lately, too, and am testing a variety of blades. I will say these new Platinum Gillettes are the best among the brands I've sampled. I haven't shaved yet today (blasphemy!), so I'll use this blade in my usual razor (I've been testing it in my travel DE) today and report back.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Murray, I bought these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KE859L2?psc=1

will definitely report back once received.

thanks to you and Tim for your input. Im going to get some of the gillettes from Phil....if they dont work at least i have the space to store them :D

clive
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Clive, I had a heckuva shave with the Platinum in my Rockwell 6S on plate 5 today. Is it the same as the old Swedes? Maybe. It's definitely a very good blade. That said, as I've played the field the past month, I've been reminded that the Personna Medical Preps are simply outstanding blades for me and my preferences. I've got a hundred of these Platinums, and they'll get used, but I won't stockpile them by any means.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Clive, the packaging of your Dura Sharps from Amazon is new and different from before. Treet has marketed at least three different blades that I know of under the Dura Sharp name. The PTFE-coated carbon steel version is exceptional and it costs significantly less than comparable stainless blades. The other, previous Dura Sharps were mediocre, at best. I hope yours are the ones I have so enjoyed.

Like Tim, I really like the Med Preps and I have a goodly stash thereof. I also really like Super Iridiums, Perma-Sharps, and Rubies, all made by Gillette. A friend brought me some blades from Iran, that I also favor. I suspect that they are blades from a known manufacturer that are repackaged in Iran, as the writing on the blade itself is in English. (It says, "High Performance"/"Stainless Steel", on both sides of the blade.)

I have a good supply of all of these blades, so not much point in buying more.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ugh.....i hope the treet's i ordered are the right ones too. for many years ago med preps were my favourites then i switched to rubies then i used that damn single edge razor Gary raved about and nothing has been right since. :D :D

clive
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

My Dura-Sharps also don't use that packaging, Clive, but they were bought maybe 8-9 years ago, or even longer, so who knows?

BTW, the Platinum was on day 2 today in the Rockwell. What a shave! Many blades smooth out on day 2, and this one is no exception. It was about as good as shaving gets. By the end of the week, I may decide a few hundred more are in order after all.
Regards,
Tim

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Tim, where did you buy your gillettes? thanks, id like to buy from the same place as you and that way if anything goes wrong i can blame you instead of me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

clive
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Clive, rest assured we'll blame you, either way! :P

- Murray
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

:D :D :D

I bought a box from Bullgoose, and I like Phil, but I did find a much less expensive seller, too, Clive, fwiw.

Shave 3 today on this blade was good, but a bit too rushed for proper evaluation.
Regards,
Tim

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Im waiting for the treets to arrive before i order from bullgoose. blade buying is weird. $22 for box of 50 which i hesitate to order but i would gladly pay $10 for 5. I guess im scared of having another stash of unused blades! :D

clive
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Clive, just PM me your address, and I can send you some if you like.

If you prefer to buy, I won't be coy: I bought a 5-pack at Razor Blades Club to sample before dipping into my Bullgoose box. They are reasonably priced, and I picked up a few others to try while I was at it. I'm not shilling for them; that said, they have an amazing variety of DE blades and will sell in most any quantity. Shipping did take a bit longer, but I was fine with that.
Regards,
Tim

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Tim thanks for the offer....i went to rbc and bought a couple of gillettes as well as a few others i hadnt heard of before now and a kai just to be like
Gary :D

as an aside, rbc has the same treets as the ones i bought on amzn. red and yellow pack blades are not available

clive
Gene

Post by Gene »

About 10 years back I bought 100 Treet Carbon Steel blades. I don't know if there is more than one style of Treet carbon blades, but I only tried two of them. In a true YMMV I could not make friends with them at all, and quickly resold them.

But, this thread has prompted me to break out a fresh pack of my Swede's (putting aside the General for now) and get busy using one.

Oh wow, was there ever a blade so smooth? Dang. Shockingly, I think I prefer the overall performance of the General, but for sure no blade that fits a General is as smooth as the Swede.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gene, Treet has offered a number of carbon steel blades over time. The most famous are the "Black Beauties," which are simple carbon steel with a black finish, and the Dura Sharps, made of carbon steel with PTFE coating. Treet has offered other carbon steel blades and even other Dura Sharps, in the past.

The "Black Beauties" aren't very popular and typically last one or two shaves. I suspect Treet has also offered the same blades without the black finish. The PTFE-coated Dura Sharps are totally different. They last significantly longer than the Black Beauties and they are typically regarded as sharper and smoother.

- Murray
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

After shave #6 today with this Gillette Platinum, I'm very happy with the blade. It's a sharp, smooth blade with ample longevity. I will get a 7th shave with it tomorrow, and today's was as close as day 2. I have looked back at my previous experiences with the old Swedes, and I do note that they were smooth from the first shave, whereas this one seemed to get better on shave 2, as most blades do. I don't know. They're great blades. I suppose I could take out my loupe and look at the edges and try to determine if they're the same as Swedes, but I don't care that much. They work, and work well.
Regards,
Tim

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

the treets are beyond bad. if anyone here wants to give one a whirl drop a note and i'll send a blade out for you to try. hopefully the 'new' gillettes will be here next week. if they are as good as the 'real' ones i'll swing by bullgoose for an order

clive
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Sorry to hear about the Treets, Clive. It's hard to be sure what you actually got, as the company has used the name "Dura Sharp" for at least three different blades that I know of (two poor ones - one stainless and one carbon steel - before the good ones were issued). I have no idea what they have done since then. I still have 1000 of the good ones, purchased long ago, so I'm fine.

On the bright side, in response to your original question, Tim's experience with the new Gillette Platinum blades sounds much more promising.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good luck with the Gillettes Clive!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444