Best Gilette DE razors on eBay?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
DonGato

Best Gilette DE razors on eBay?

Post by DonGato »

I used to post on this forum back in the day. It's been years, but I remember it being a huge help when I was first getting started on wetshaving.

I've been living off a huge eBay order of Gilette DEs for years, but I've finally managed to use them all up and need to restock. I had the yellow box, though I can't remember from which country (Poland?) Anyway, the listings I see on eBay don't seem to specify which country, not that it would help me very much.

I found the yellow box, along with a green and black one.

Anything I should know? I've generally had good results with Gilette, so I'd like to stick with those, but I want to make sure there's not some subtle thing I'm missing. I do recall previously using Feather (which I found too aggressive) and Derby (not nearly aggressive enough). Gilette seemed to be the Goldilocks blade, though I'd be open to other recs.

TIA
pausted

Re: Best Gilette DE razors on eBay?

Post by pausted »

Of the three you mentioned I have used only the yellow pack. They are made in Russia and are very good blades. Sharp and smooth. I recommend them. Two other Russian blades by Gillette are the Silver Blue and the Nacet. Both are excellent and I suspect they are readily available on ebay. I like both of them. In general l have found all the Gillette blades from their Russian factory to be quite good. Just my opinion.
Best regards,

Basil
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Thanks! I just checked, and both are available on Amazon.

One question about a non-Gilette blade: any opinions on the Astra?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi DonGato -

Procter & Gamble is the company that owns Gillette and a number of other brands, including Astra. Astra blades are quite popular and I believe they are also made at the Gillette factory in St Petersburg, Russia.

P&G/Gillette also makes blades in India and in other countries, most of which are quite good, though the Russian blades are often preferred. The Gillette blades in the black box, linked in your original post, may be from Gillette in India.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

a gillette blade not readily spoken about (here at smf, anyway) is the rubie....a hundred times better than the black 7oclock

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

fallingwickets wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:35 am a gillette blade not readily spoken about (here at smf, anyway) is the rubie....a hundred times better than the black 7oclock

clive
I like these, too! Problem is knowing which are authentic and which are counterfeit.

(There's a thread about these here somewhere.)

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

DonGato wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:04 pm I used to post on this forum back in the day. It's been years, but I remember it being a huge help when I was first getting started on wetshaving.

I've been living off a huge eBay order of Gilette DEs for years, but I've finally managed to use them all up and need to restock. I had the yellow box, though I can't remember from which country (Poland?) Anyway, the listings I see on eBay don't seem to specify which country, not that it would help me very much.

I found the yellow box, along with a green and black one.

Anything I should know? I've generally had good results with Gilette, so I'd like to stick with those, but I want to make sure there's not some subtle thing I'm missing. I do recall previously using Feather (which I found too aggressive) and Derby (not nearly aggressive enough). Gilette seemed to be the Goldilocks blade, though I'd be open to other recs.

TIA
DonGato, I checked Squire's blade review archive and confirmed my recollection that he found the green and yellow Russian Gillette blades to be very good, and preferred the green blades.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

roblem is knowing which are authentic and which are counterfeit.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I either have the real ones, or very good fakes :D :D either way ten thumbs up on the rubies

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum